none
Outlook Add In & InstallShield RRS feed

• Question

• Morning all :)

I have just completed an Outlook add in, and used InstallShield to create the setup file.

However, I just passed it on to a colleague, and it seems to install ok, but the add in does not appear in Outlook?

Any ideas? Would it be better to go down the ClickOnce route?

Monday, May 25, 2015 9:56 AM

Answers

All replies

• This could be to do with the Registry Entry, is there a guide to setting this up?
    Monday, May 25, 2015 10:24 AM
  • Hello Darryl,

First of all, I'd suggest checking out the windows registry keys. See Registry Entries for Application-Level Add-Ins for more information. 

Also Microsoft Office applications can disable add-ins that behave unexpectedly. If an application does not load your add-in, the application might have hard disabled or soft disabled your add-in.

Hard disabling can occur when an add-in causes the application to close unexpectedly. It might also occur on your development computer if you stop the debugger while the Startup event handler in your add-in is executing.

Soft disabling can occur when an add-in produces an error that does not cause the application to unexpectedly close. For example, an application might soft disable an add-in if it throws an unhandled exception while the Startup event handler is executing.

When you re-enable a soft-disabled add-in, the application immediately attempts to load the add-in. If the problem that initially caused the application to soft disable the add-in has not been fixed, the application will soft disable the add-in again. Read more about that in the How to: Re-enable an Add-in That Has Been Disabled article

Finally, make sure that you did all the steps described in the Deploying an Office Solution by Using Windows Installer article.

Monday, May 25, 2015 10:31 AM
  • Thanks for that :)

One last thing - if doing "Rebuild Soulution" will that rebuild the setup file as well?
    Monday, May 25, 2015 11:23 AM
  • thanks you very much
    Monday, May 25, 2015 11:34 AM
  • It depends on what projects were chosen for building in Visual Studio. By default, if you don't change anything all projects are rebuilt when you use the Rebuilt solution option. 
    Monday, May 25, 2015 11:41 AM
  • Were you able to find the cause of the issue? Could you share it for other forum readers?
    Monday, May 25, 2015 11:42 AM
  • Just trying it out now. Two articles seem to contradict for 64-bit machines.

Root\Software\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Office\application name\Addins\add-in

The other says

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE(64-Bit)\Microsoft\Office\Excel\Addins\SampleCompany.ExcelAddIn

So do I need to add it the Wow6432Node bit?

Monday, May 25, 2015 12:12 PM
  • Did you have a chance to check out the VSTO - Deploy an Office Add-in by using Windows Installer sample project which support the x64 platform as well?
    Monday, May 25, 2015 12:53 PM
  • I sorted it all. It was the registry entry issue. I hadn't set it up correctly.

Thanks for all the quick replies (Y) :) much appreciated.

Monday, May 25, 2015 1:21 PM