What is the reg hive 11.0Exp_Config_XXXX? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi gurus,

According to the MSDN Blog Dissecting VS 2010 Package Registration and Your VS Package may not load after porting it to VS 2012, I'm successful register a Package which is developed in VS2010 on VS2012's Exp Hive for debug propose.

After execute Devenv /Setup and enable the package from extension mgr, the package start to work. But for my editor part,  IVsFontAndColorStorage.GetItem Method, returns an invalid argument (E_INVALIDARG) for some settings which works on VS2010. I next check the register to comfirm if the FontAndColor is fine for me. I found that package is not register on  11.0Exp_Config but on 11.0Exp_Config_XXXX, where XXXX is 4 digits.

Is there anything changes from VS2010 to VS2012?

Regards,

YI

Friday, December 14, 2012 7:03 AM

Answers

• Hi Yi,

Each instance of VS gets it's own volatile registry hive.

The xxxx is the PID of the currently running devenv.exe process. When you install a package, it's best to ensure that all instances of devenv.exe are exited. When devenv.exe is started back up, the changes should be merged into the _Config hive.

Sincerely,

Ed Dore

Saturday, December 15, 2012 4:23 AM

All replies

• Hi Yi,

Each instance of VS gets it's own volatile registry hive.

The xxxx is the PID of the currently running devenv.exe process. When you install a package, it's best to ensure that all instances of devenv.exe are exited. When devenv.exe is started back up, the changes should be merged into the _Config hive.

Sincerely,

Ed Dore

Saturday, December 15, 2012 4:23 AM
  • Hi Yi,

I marked Ed's reply as answer.

Please unmark it, if it is not the answer.

Thank you for your understanding and support.

Best regards,

Ego [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Friday, December 21, 2012 7:41 AM