Smartscreen & no internet access

Question

• Hey,

Windows DP is running like a charm (pun intended) on my laptop. I actually use it as my main OS.

However, whenever I use my laptop in my University, Windows prompts me on boot three times, warning me that it could not check something through Smartscreen.

The reason is obviously a lack of Internet connectivity. Although I am connected to the University Wi-Fi Internet connection, I still need to login to actually browse the Internet and enable connections through :80.

I guess SmartScreen is working on start-up programs (like WL Mesh), and cannot check them.

This is a very annoying piece of experience.

Hope you guys find a way to fix it without compromising security.

Cheers.

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 10:23 AM

Answers

• >> What I can say is that I do have a bunch of programs starting with Windows.

Based on the description of the behavior, it sounds like one of these programs is causing the SmartScreen prompt to appear when there is no network access.

You can stop this from happening by, while still being protected by SmartScreen if yu take the following steps:

1. Launch Task Manger by pressing CTRL+SHIFT+ESC
    2. Click "More Details"
    3. Click "Startup"

You'll see a list of programs in task manager --- for each entry you're getting a SmartScreen offline prompt, take the following action:

1. Right-Click the program name
    2. Click "Properties"
    3. If the program came from the internet, at the bottom of the properties sheet, you'll see a message "This file came from another computer and might be blocked to help protect this computer."
    4. If you trust the program and want it to run at startup, Click "Unblock"

Repeat steps 1-4 for each program you're seeing getting prompted for at startup.

I hope this helps.

Daniel

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 8:34 PM

All replies

• >> However, whenever I use my laptop in my University, Windows prompts me on boot three times, warning me that it could not check something through Smartscreen.

Are you prompted on the desktop or when you're opening a page in the browser?

If it's coming from the desktop, are you running programs in the startup path?

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 5:12 PM
  • Hello again,

I am prompted on the desktop, before I could open any browser.

I am not sure what you mean by the startup path.

What I can say is that I do have a bunch of programs starting with Windows.

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 7:25 PM
  • >> What I can say is that I do have a bunch of programs starting with Windows.

Based on the description of the behavior, it sounds like one of these programs is causing the SmartScreen prompt to appear when there is no network access.

You can stop this from happening by, while still being protected by SmartScreen if yu take the following steps:

1. Launch Task Manger by pressing CTRL+SHIFT+ESC
    2. Click "More Details"
    3. Click "Startup"

You'll see a list of programs in task manager --- for each entry you're getting a SmartScreen offline prompt, take the following action:

1. Right-Click the program name
    2. Click "Properties"
    3. If the program came from the internet, at the bottom of the properties sheet, you'll see a message "This file came from another computer and might be blocked to help protect this computer."
    4. If you trust the program and want it to run at startup, Click "Unblock"

Repeat steps 1-4 for each program you're seeing getting prompted for at startup.

I hope this helps.

Daniel

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 8:34 PM
  • It sure helped, thanks!

Out of 5 programs starting with Windows, 3 were blocked (persistence Module / Intel - hkcmd Module / Intel - igfxTray Modyle / Intel).

Thursday, September 22, 2011 8:09 AM