none
Creating Installer .Net Framework Application Which Uses SQL Server RRS feed

• Question

• I am creating an application on .Net framework 3.5 SP1 (using C#) and using SQL Server 2005 express edition to store my (application/user) data.

Now I need to deploy this application on client machine with (Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition + SP2).  [Note: Nothing else is installed other than OS at the moment]

Please help me what all are required to install on the client machine to make my application run correctly.

Previously I used to develop application in Microsoft Visual Basic 6.0 with Microsoft Access to store my data. There I was not installing any prerequisite as such and the application is used to work fine.

Wednesday, January 6, 2010 4:18 AM

Answers

• Hi Sina,

Thank you for your post.

Firstly, to run .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 application on the target machine, we need to deploy .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 as prerequisite.

Secondly, for your application to add SQL Server database file, you can add this file to the MSI package. In the "File System" view window, you can right click "Application Folder" -> "Add" -> "File...". Select the DB file so it can be copied to the target folder when install.

I'm not quite sure how you designed your project with SQL Server Database. You can choose to install SQL Server 2005 Express Edition as prerequisite to support the application.
    However, if you don't want to install SQL Server on the target machine, you might try installing SQL Server 2005 Native Client as prerequisite for your deployment. It contains run-time support for applications using native-code APIs (ODBC, OLE DB and ADO) to connect to Microsoft SQL Server 2000, 2005. You can download it from the following link:
    X86 Package
    X64 Package
    IA64 Package
    For more information on SQL Server 2005 Native Client, please check:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=DF0BA5AA-B4BD-4705-AA0A-B477BA72A9CB&displaylang=en(Search "SQL Server 2005 Native Client")
    You can install it on your test machine to check whether your application can be run properly.

For deployment of SQL Server 2005 Native Client, you can try using BMG (Bootstrapper Manifest Generator) to make SQL Server 2005 Native Client as a custom Bootstrapper for both MSI and ClickOnce. Here is the example.
    http://www.codeproject.com/KB/aspnet/Add_Custom_Prerequisite.aspx
    After you create your own bootstrapper, you can set it as prerequisite of your MSI.

BTW, this forum is for the support of Visual Studio installation. Since your issue is related to deployment, if you have any further concern, you could post your thread on ClickOnce and Setup & Deployment Projects forum. This will make answer searching in the forum easier and be beneficial to other community members as well.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Marked as answer by YiChun Chen Wednesday, January 13, 2010 7:12 AM
    Thursday, January 7, 2010 9:58 AM