[WP8.1]Intercepting frames from video camera stream RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm trying to develop an app like card.io but for windows phone. I'm facing a major problem: I need to intercept each frame from the camera stream and analyse it. I can't find any examples to do it. Is it something possible to do? Thanks,

Sebastien

Wednesday, May 6, 2015 4:48 AM

Answers

• What type of app are you writing? Windows Phone Silverlight or Windows Phone Runtime?

Since you posted in the Windows Store apps forum I'll guess Windows Phone Runtime. To intercept frames you'll need to write a Media Foundation Transform (MFT) in C++ and register it as a media extension to call from the MediaCapture element.

There is a Media extensions sample which demonstrates how to do this on Windows. The extension code itself will be different on the phone, although the framework for the sample will need to be rewritten.

Wednesday, May 6, 2015 5:47 AM

All replies

• What type of app are you writing? Windows Phone Silverlight or Windows Phone Runtime?

Since you posted in the Windows Store apps forum I'll guess Windows Phone Runtime. To intercept frames you'll need to write a Media Foundation Transform (MFT) in C++ and register it as a media extension to call from the MediaCapture element.

There is a Media extensions sample which demonstrates how to do this on Windows. The extension code itself will be different on the phone, although the framework for the sample will need to be rewritten.

Wednesday, May 6, 2015 5:47 AM
  • In Windows Phone Silverlight you can create a lens app and intercept each frame individually.
    Wednesday, May 6, 2015 6:49 AM