Animation not smooth ! RRS feed

• Question

• People hi,

Go to http://gearworld.dyndns.org:8082 between 6:00am and 8:00PM EST

Look at the bottle of Amarula and see that the animation is not smooth I mean, there's some stops in there.
    Who knows what it means ?

This is a simple storyboard but it does the same with STATES !

Saturday, December 19, 2009 3:58 PM

Answers

• During playback my CPU utilization spikes up to 90%, so"jumpy" animation is simply a draw performance issue. Do you use GPU acceleration?

Btw download size is way to big. Noramlly I wouldn't wait that long for app to start.

Saturday, December 19, 2009 4:32 PM
  •  Now I see that the jerky animation seems to be related to my system at home.  I'm at the office right now and the animation isn't jerky. 

At home I look at the site from the same computer that host it and its a huge heigh end system with a nVidia GTX 295

Now I will inverstigate against nVidia to see if it's related to the 3D card OR a combination of things in my system !

Monday, December 21, 2009 8:32 AM

All replies

•  it was perfectly smooth for me

Saturday, December 19, 2009 4:05 PM
  • Your eyes need to be very careful.  The stops are very very tiny but it's like clock pulse of some sort.
    Or maybe it's because I'm playing it on http://localhost:8082/ which is the computer that is actually hosting the web site

Saturday, December 19, 2009 4:10 PM
  • During playback my CPU utilization spikes up to 90%, so"jumpy" animation is simply a draw performance issue. Do you use GPU acceleration?

Btw download size is way to big. Noramlly I wouldn't wait that long for app to start.

Saturday, December 19, 2009 4:32 PM
  • When you say GPU accelaration eee Do you mean I can code something for it or me having an  acceleration card ? Because yes I have a monster card, nVidia GTX 295

It's a png going from right to left, a simple Storyboard.
    So you see what I see right ?

For the load,  There's a lot of application in my portfolio in the same xap but I just reduced it now.
    I added this to the object tag : <param name="enableGPUAcceleration" value="true" />
    which I was unaware of until now.  But I tested it with this and nothing changed.  I still get the animation stitching !

Saturday, December 19, 2009 4:37 PM
  • Just google "silverlight gpu acceleration" you should get bunch of results to look through. Your animation should be prime candidate for enabling acceleration.

Saturday, December 19, 2009 4:52 PM
  • Thank you for your hint

Saturday, December 19, 2009 5:21 PM
  • GearWorld,

For your heavy XAP size I will suggest you to split your application into multiple Silverlight application & load them on demand. This will speedup your application load & also give a performance boost while running animation. As multiple application will have multiple UI threads hence it will give you smooth UI animation.

Sunday, December 20, 2009 6:42 AM
  • Ok I did a few thigns here to see what's going on.  First I did reduce my xap file to 1.1 megs which is not very big and it was doing the same thing

then I tought about doing a repro project that is only 99k in size and I did an animation that was ferpectly smooth because I was just moving the image from right to left then I reproduce the same animation I had before

which is a RenderTransform of ROTATION + TRANSLATION and boom, the stitching is back with a merely 99k size xap

It seems that the combination of ROTATION and TRANSLATION make animation stitching !
    I can send the repro to anyone interesting to see it

Sunday, December 20, 2009 7:46 AM
  • Can you upload it in Skydrive & send the link?
    Sunday, December 20, 2009 9:17 AM
  • http://cid-7056cffe05236b7d.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/.Public/Repro.zip

The word to describe it is more JERKY then STITCHING I supose....based of a translation I did on the web.
    Sorry my english is not extremely good.

So JERKY is the right word.

Sunday, December 20, 2009 1:57 PM
  •  Now I see that the jerky animation seems to be related to my system at home.  I'm at the office right now and the animation isn't jerky. 

At home I look at the site from the same computer that host it and its a huge heigh end system with a nVidia GTX 295

Now I will inverstigate against nVidia to see if it's related to the 3D card OR a combination of things in my system !

Monday, December 21, 2009 8:32 AM