none
ISBN lookup RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all

I volunteered to create a spreadsheet to help our local school track and audit their English novels. These are stored separate to the school's library books and the shelves are constantly being re-arranged so, they need a dynamic solution. My plan is to set up their 60 bookshelves with barcode locations the compile a database scanning ISBN and location. When storage locations are rearrange, it will be a simple matter of scanning ISBN and current shelf to update the record. Teachers searching for or returning books will be able to find a shelf location via a title and/or author search.  The issue I have is grabbing Title and Author from internet data when the ISBN is scanned.

Tonight I had a look at an API but I have little experience working with API. Even if I can work it out, I presume the API requires installation? This is not possible due to lack of administrator rights. Is there an alternative or can someone help me if API is possible without admin. rights?

Wednesday, April 18, 2012 12:09 PM

Answers

• Worked around the issue by automating web query to sheet. Not very elegant but it does the job.
    • Marked as answer by Stevie will Monday, July 16, 2012 11:07 PM
    Monday, July 16, 2012 11:07 PM

All replies

• Worked around the issue by automating web query to sheet. Not very elegant but it does the job.
    • Marked as answer by Stevie will Monday, July 16, 2012 11:07 PM
    Monday, July 16, 2012 11:07 PM
  • Stevie, do you have the link to the solution you used? I'm looking for a ISBN lookup in PHP to work with openbiblio ILS. Thanks in advanced. -mp
    Tuesday, July 24, 2012 5:18 PM
  • Hi Marcello.

All I did was turn on the macro recorder and run a web query to a temp sheet then grab title and author from relevant cells.

However, all is not so simple. I found examples:

- multiple titles with a single ISBN (list titles and have user confirm which is correct)

- multiple ISBNs for a single title (yet to turn my mind to this issue but the school does not need the confusion of three separate locations for Shakespeare's Hamlet)

Here's the code that fetches the details in the rough (waiting to solve a proxy issue before I spend more time on it):

Sub GetBookDetails(strISBN)

On Error Resume Next

Worksheets("temp").Activate
    Worksheets("temp").Cells.Clear
    On Error GoTo 0
        With ActiveSheet.QueryTables.Add(Connection:= _
            "URL;http://www.lookupbyisbn.com/Search/Book/" & strISBN & "/1", Destination:=Range("$A$1"))
            .Name = "1"
            .FieldNames = True
            .RowNumbers = False
            .FillAdjacentFormulas = False
            .PreserveFormatting = True
            .RefreshOnFileOpen = False
            .BackgroundQuery = True
            .RefreshStyle = xlInsertDeleteCells
            .SavePassword = False
            .SaveData = True
            .AdjustColumnWidth = True
            .RefreshPeriod = 0
            .WebSelectionType = xlEntirePage
            .WebFormatting = xlWebFormattingNone
            .WebPreFormattedTextToColumns = True
            .WebConsecutiveDelimitersAsOne = True
            .WebSingleBlockTextImport = False
            .WebDisableDateRecognition = False
            .WebDisableRedirections = False
            .Refresh BackgroundQuery:=False
         End With
        Exit Sub

End Sub

Sunday, July 29, 2012 11:09 AM
  • Stevie, do you have the link to the solution you used? I'm looking for a ISBN lookup in PHP to work with openbiblio ILS. Thanks in advanced. -mp

Hi

There are some Webservices that you can use. Please have a look at the thread http://stackoverflow.com/questions/41469/how-to-fetch-a-book-title-from-an-isbn-number

They have listed some free webservices and their pros and cons

Cheers

Shasur

http://www.vbadud.blogspot.com http://www.dotnetdud.blogspot.com

Monday, July 30, 2012 2:25 AM