none
Can you develop a VS2015/VS2017 on windows-7 & create an EXE fiel to run on windows-10

Question

• Folks,

I need to udate an app written in VB6.0 to VS2015 or VS2017. My development environment is windows-7, but the machine on which the app will be deployed will be windows-10. so, the question is..

1. Will the app defimitely not run on win-10 (so must have win-10 development machine), or..

2. might run on win-10 depending on program features (APIs used etc).

3. can be done with additional softwares.

many thanks for any comments,

JJB

Thursday, February 09, 2017 9:02 PM

All replies

• >1. Will the app defimitely not run on win-10 (so must have win-10 development machine), or..

It should run fine - but you can't assume so, you need to test it.

What led you to suspect it wouldn't?

Dave

Thursday, February 09, 2017 11:04 PM
  • Suck it and see.

The compiler will throw out anything it doesn't like.

Save your original code first and put the your code through VS2015.

n.Wright

Friday, February 10, 2017 1:15 AM
  • Folks,

I need to udate an app written in VB6.0 to VS2015 or VS2017. My development environment is windows-7, but the machine on which the app will be deployed will be windows-10. so, the question is..

1. Will the app defimitely not run on win-10 (so must have win-10 development machine), or..

2. might run on win-10 depending on program features (APIs used etc).

3. can be done with additional softwares.

many thanks for any comments,

JJB

Well you can not develop UWP on Windows 7 AFAIK.

Is there a reason you can not use a Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 development machine?

You also do not mention the style of app you want to develop (i.e. Windows.Forms, WPF, Console, Silverlight, etc) although I suspect all would run on Windows 10 if written to support globalization if necessary and for some to support DPI awareness.

And there isn't updating VB6 to VB.Net really. A true VB.Net app will not rely on VB6 and can be compiled to AnyCPU, 32 bit or 64 bit as necessary depending on what the app does.

Unfortunately not knowing VB.Net to the level necessary that VB6 may be known to leaves the possibility of providing a quality VB.Net app unlikely since learning VB.Net capabilities to reach a comparative level could take a very long time.

La vida loca

Friday, February 10, 2017 1:40 AM
  • many thanks gents for your comments..

the application is a windows forms type. It is a GUI for operators on production machinery to load production recipes & monitor machine behaviour. The add in components are an activeX package that inludes sliders & indicators on display (the development version wont install on anything above win-xp) and an OPC communciations server that communicates a profibus network to an industrial PLC controller. I figure windows versions are moving on too far to rely on being able to install VB6 anymore so feel it is time to implement the project in a manageable package.

i thought that an app developed on win-7 may not run on win-10 as I have seen (or thought I saw) a comment that you needed win-10 SDK (that would not install on win-7) to produce an EXE for win-10 machine, but maybe that is for more complex programs.

I have to develop the prorram on win-7 as that is the office standard tool.

kind regards

JJB

Friday, February 10, 2017 1:59 PM
  • the development version wont install on anything above win-xp

That doesn't bode well. :(

i thought that an app developed on win-7 may not run on win-10 as I have seen (or thought I saw) a comment that you needed win-10 SDK (that would not install on win-7) to produce an EXE for win-10 machine, but maybe that is for more complex programs.

If your program works on Win7 and plays by the rules, it should work
    on any later version of Windows until such time as MS intentionally
    break backward compatibility (which is unlikely in the foreseeable
    future).

Dave

Friday, February 10, 2017 3:56 PM
  • Why not take a step back and decide if you really need to upgrade your VB6 app.  VB6 apps will run on Windows 7, 8 or 10.

The VB6 programming IDE will install on Windows 7, 8 or 10 (directly, you don't need to use a virtual machine).

If your VB6 app won't run after Windows XP, it is probably something that is easy to fix. Often it is User Account Control (UAC) - that is your app may not conform to UAC requirements. Installing the VB6 IDE and running your app under it should enable you to find any issues.

The VB6 Runtime is included in Windows 10.

Sunday, February 12, 2017 4:08 PM
  • Hi JJB,

Please help mark any reply as answer if they help resolve your doubts.

Best regards,

Fletch

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, February 17, 2017 4:38 PM