none
VS2015 clean issue

Question

• We have a mvc solution consisting of many c# projects .   They all build to the web app's bin folder.  Unfortunately,  VS2015 clean command does not always remove all the files from the bin folder.  Many times, it won't clean everything from bin and we must manually delete the files left over in the bin folder.  What might cause this issue?

thanks

VS2015

Windows10

scott

• Moved by Jamles Hez Thursday, November 19, 2015 1:47 AM
    Wednesday, November 18, 2015 10:43 PM

Answers

• Hi scott_m,

I tested this issue on my visual studio with a MVC web app solution, the same issue as yours.

After creating it, in the bin folder, there are the following dlls:

So I suggest you could submit this issue on Microsoft Connect feedback portal: https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/CreateFeedback.aspx , Microsoft engineers will evaluate them seriously.  After you submit the feedback, you can post the link here which will be beneficial for other members with the similar issue.

As a temporary solution, I suggest you could take following steps:

(1) Change all the global reference dlls Local copy property to false when first create the MVC project:

(2) And then delete the global dlls under the bin folder.

(3) After the above steps, clean solution will delete all the files under bin folder.

Best Regards,

Jiayi Li

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, November 23, 2015 8:22 AM

All replies

• Hi scott,

I will help you move the question to Visual Studio General forum for a better support, thanks for your understanding.

--James

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Thursday, November 19, 2015 1:47 AM
  • Hi scott_m,

Thank you for posting in MSDN forum.

>>  it won't clean everything from bin and we must manually delete the files left over in the bin folder.  What might cause this issue?

I tested this issue on my machine, and I create a new simple C# console application, and before building, I go to the bin folder, and see the following files by default:

After building, it will generates other files, and then use the /clean command, refer to: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/5ak1w89s.aspx

this command will Deletes any files created by the build command, without affecting source files.

This switch performs the same function as the Clean Solution menu command within the integrated development environment (IDE).

After this command, I go to bin folder, and it shows as the above picture shows.

So I think it will delete all the files under bin folder, you could also go to Build -> Clean Solution to check this issue. I think it is by design.

Best Regards,

Friday, November 20, 2015 2:52 AM
  • Hi scott_m,

Thank you for posting in MSDN forum.

>>  it won't clean everything from bin and we must manually delete the files left over in the bin folder.  What might cause this issue?

I tested this issue on my machine, and I create a new simple C# console application, and before building, I go to the bin folder, and see the following files by default:

After building, it will generates other files, and then use the /clean command, refer to: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/5ak1w89s.aspx

this command will Deletes any files created by the build command, without affecting source files.

This switch performs the same function as the Clean Solution menu command within the integrated development environment (IDE).

After this command, I go to bin folder, and it shows as the above picture shows.

So I think it will delete all the files under bin folder, you could also go to Build -> Clean Solution to check this issue. I think it is by design.

Best Regards,

For some reason the clean solution doesn't clean all the files.  It leaves several files in the bin folder that should be deleted.

Friday, November 20, 2015 2:59 AM
  • Hi scott_m,

Could you tell us what is your project type so that we could test this issue on our side for you?

Best Regards,

Friday, November 20, 2015 7:11 AM
  • It's an MVC web app solution with lots of projects.
    Friday, November 20, 2015 2:42 PM
  • Hi scott_m,

I tested this issue on my visual studio with a MVC web app solution, the same issue as yours.

After creating it, in the bin folder, there are the following dlls:

So I suggest you could submit this issue on Microsoft Connect feedback portal: https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/CreateFeedback.aspx , Microsoft engineers will evaluate them seriously.  After you submit the feedback, you can post the link here which will be beneficial for other members with the similar issue.

As a temporary solution, I suggest you could take following steps:

(1) Change all the global reference dlls Local copy property to false when first create the MVC project:

(2) And then delete the global dlls under the bin folder.

(3) After the above steps, clean solution will delete all the files under bin folder.

Best Regards,

Jiayi Li

Monday, November 23, 2015 8:22 AM