Silverlight Plug-in Keeps Crashing When I Try to Watch Netflix RRS feed

• General discussion

• I recently got a netflix account again and i've been trying to watch movies on my laptop but the silverlight plug in keeps crashing. I've tried it on three different browesers and its the same thing. I've uninstalled it and then reinstalled it and still it crashes. I'm not really computer savvy but if this has happened to someone else and you've fixed it could you please help me out. 

Tuesday, February 28, 2012 3:42 PM

All replies

• Hi vavagrl,

Welcome to Silverlight forum!

This is a known issue. Our engineers are working on this specific issue for a resolution.

http://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/616331/silverlight-4-crashes-on-netflix-in-ie9-firefox-3-6-11-and-chrome-7

Best wishes,

Thursday, March 1, 2012 3:34 AM
  • So out of curiosity, how long have your engineers been working on this issue? I only ask because it's still happening now, over a year later.
    Sunday, July 28, 2013 5:04 PM
  • I am also still having the issue, any known fix to this yet? I have multiple PC's with multiple versions of Windows all with the same problem.
    Friday, September 6, 2013 8:39 PM
  • Yes me as well.. just started.. Some machines that ran it fine do NOT anymore.. Others are fine.. all up to date.. 

Thursday, October 17, 2013 10:38 PM
  • I am also having the same problem and i have been for the past few week. surely they cant still be working on it? 
    Thursday, October 24, 2013 9:29 PM
  • I'm assuming you're using Chrome. If so, try this:

In the address bar, type: chrome:plugins

See if there is a plugin called "SharePoint Browser Plug-in ". If so, disable that. Then reload Netflix and see if it works. 

This is what worked for me. I believe there is a conflict between this and the Silverlight plugin.

Sunday, February 9, 2014 10:40 PM
  • I had this plug-in as well, but disabling it did not work for me. 

Oddly, I started having this crash issue within the last week, and only in my Chrome for Mac. There are no issues when I try using the same version of Chrome on my Windows.

Sunday, April 13, 2014 6:03 AM
  • I factory reset my  computer while saving my personal files. Netflix started working again after this. You'll have to re-download all apps and programs that you've added to your laptop, but it works.
    Sunday, July 13, 2014 11:15 PM
  • I have read a lot of posts regarding this issue and 99 % deal with Chrome,  The problem is with all browsers, not just chrome. I refuse to use chrome, and I don't trust Explorer so I use firefox and I have the same problem.  I believe the problem is the plugin and not the browsers

Thursday, October 16, 2014 2:04 AM
  • Hi!

It's now been two years since your reply and Silverlight is still crashing for people. Are your so-called engineers in fact mentally deficient monkeys? What's going on? On almost every support thread I've been to on this worthless site, you people haven't actually helped at all, only answering with dodgy fucking no-good inconcrete answers. Fix it. How hard can it be? Or even better: Fire the idiot who developed this stupid program, terminate Silverlight for all time and stop fucking us over.

A royal fuck you, to you

Gabe

Sunday, November 16, 2014 12:48 AM
  • Microsoft, known worldwide as the worst company of all time, is very innovative when it comes to figuring out ways to keep holding that title.

Silverlight is an absolute disaster of a program; Microsoft must pay millions for Netflix to keep using it (they probably know that's the only reason anyone would ever install this worthless plug-in). All other options are better than Silverlight. JavaScript, Flash. Anything. Silverlight is gutter trash, like the rest of this wretched, abominable company.

Sunday, October 11, 2015 12:43 AM
  • Netflix also use html5 now.

I can't really follow the logic where Microsoft deprecates Silverlight BUT then pays Netflix money to keep on using it.

Hope that helps.

Technet articles: WPF: MVVM Step 1; All my Technet Articles

Sunday, October 11, 2015 10:49 AM
  • I have tried Microsoft Edge, Chrome and Firefox. Silverlight crashes and stops working, freezing up the browser in Microsoft Edge and Firefox on two different machines and doesn't work at all in Chrome.

I know why it doesn't work in Chrome but I'm left with not being able to watch Netflix or SKYGo on any other browser either - two accounts I pay for!

Silverlight is killing Netflix and SkyGo I wonder when they will wake up to it.

I POSTED THIS ON 13th OCTOBER 2015. Are you going to tell me your engineers have been working on it since 2013?

Strangely enough the trouble only started for me when Microsoft brought out Windows 10.

I will write to Netflix and SkyGo and tell them I am cancelling my accounts because I am paying for nothing but frustration.

Tuesday, October 13, 2015 12:01 AM
  • I have no idea which engineers are working on what at Microsoft.

What with not working for the company.

I do know for sure that Silverlight doesn't work at all in Edge and never will.

Silverlight is deprecated technology as far as MS are concerned and they chose not to support activex content when designing Edge.

If you're experiencing problems in Edge other than seeing nothing at all load then that isn't Silverlight.

Similarly Chrome. It doesn't support the npapi plug in any more so Netflix uses HTML5 in chrome.

I think your problems are much more likely to be do with connectivity, disk space or some such.

In win10 you should use IE11 for Silverlight.

When you upgrade to win10 it re-sets all the settings in IE. Probably because it's a new install.

Anyhow the things that made Silverlight work for me were:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/30387.silverlight-troubleshooting-installation.aspx#Install_SIlverlight_When_Already_Installed

and

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/30387.silverlight-troubleshooting-installation.aspx#Internet_Explorer

Hope that helps.

Technet articles: WPF: MVVM Step 1; All my Technet Articles

Tuesday, October 13, 2015 7:53 AM