Navigating to error line from .trx file RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I got a .exe file for running test on my project. After running the file .trx file is created.

So is there any way in which after opening that trx file I can navigate to the line that caused that test to fail ?

I am using Visual Studio 2017.

Tuesday, February 20, 2018 8:19 AM

All replies

• Hi Abhiprae Choudhury,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

What’s the project are you testing?

>> So is there any way in which after opening that trx file I can navigate to the line that caused that test to fail ?

Is the .trx file the coded UI test result file?

Based on my knowledge, we could not navigate to the line that caused that test to fail use .trx file.

For example, we only could find the result summary in the .trx file of the coded UI test result.

Thanks for your understanding.

Regards,

Judyzh

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, February 21, 2018 6:26 AM
  • Thanks for replying.

Actually I have some .exe files (Tests) that I am running using extensibility, but I am stuck with how to navigate to the line which is causing the test to fail. 

Thursday, February 22, 2018 6:20 AM
  • Hi Abhiprae Choudhury,

I open the .trx result file use Visual Studio 2017, we can only know from the Trx file which test method is causing the test to fail. Please refer to following screenshot:

So, we could not navigate to the line that caused that test to fail use .trx file.

Thanks for your understanding.

Regards,

Judyzh

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, February 22, 2018 9:20 AM
  • Hi,

Is there any other method to navigate to error line ?

Anything which can be implemented in .exe ?

Monday, February 26, 2018 5:05 AM
  • Hi Abhiprae Choudhury,

It would have no this feature in VS tests. The test results just provide us the last result for all tests. It can't tell us which line impacts the test result. I think it was the reason why the VS also provided the Debug test feature or the trace log in the test explorer window.

If possible, I suggest you visit the Test Explorer windows or debug the test to find much more information in your tests.

Of course, if it was not the function you want to get, you could submit a feature request to the product team:

http://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio.

The Visual Studio product team is listening to user voice there.

Sincerely,

Jack

MSDN Community Support

Monday, February 26, 2018 9:02 AM