Problem receiving Post's RRS feed

• Question

• User1751364002 posted
    I created an HTTP listener that should intercept any Post requests to my URL.  When I browse to the URL from another machine everything works correctly (my listener if fired up).  Now I have another company that needs to POST XML data to the URL so that I can intercept the POST, extract the XML from it and process it correctly.

Like I said, simply browsing to the site seems to fire the ProcessRequest sub but when this other company attempt to Post to it via a java application they continue to get java.net.SocketTimeoutException: Read timed out error and my ProcessRequest sub never gets called.

Any ideas of what the difference could be between these.  I've checked that the URL is visible from outside my network.
    Tuesday, November 29, 2005 2:06 PM

All replies

• User-429982059 posted
    How about using a web service........?  You have another application coded in java posting to a .net application with xml data.  Sounds like a web service to me :)  Then you would have one standard and not have to worry about http handlers.
    Tuesday, November 29, 2005 3:25 PM
  • User1751364002 posted

I wish that was an option.  THis company created this functionality as a product and you pretty much have to implement it as they dictate.  It's an API of sorts that they supply to their customers.  Not sure they'd be willing to customize for me.

Their document mentions that most companies choose Java servlets, PHP or CGI to handle the incoming Post.  I wanted to stay within MS.Net so I thought this HTTPHandler interface was a viable solution.  I've posted numerous questions on this board and haven't had many responses so maybe MS.Net can't handle this type of thing.......seems like it should though.

Simple situation:
    1). My customers place trades on CompanyA's trading application.
    2). CompanyA's trading application gathers the trade details, formats as XML and Post's to URL where my HTTPListener sits.
    3).  My Listener receives Post, strips off XML, processes trade into my back office system and then responds with Acknowlodgement of trade receipt (XML Message).

Seems simple.  Have you tried doing something like this or can you point me in the right direction?

Tuesday, November 29, 2005 3:35 PM