windows azure drive RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, 2 questions about Azure Drive:

1. is it release or still beta? is MS still supporting this feature?

2. I am following the hands-on-lab on Azure Training kit. In the lab "Exploring Azure Storage", exercise 4 about "Drive", step 18 mentioned that type in "subst" command to C:\Users\Daniell\dftmp\wadd\devstoreaccount1\mydrives\SamplePictures.vhd.

I followed the exactly instruction (including run cmd as admin), but still failed.

The error msg is "Access is denied".

Please advise.

Monday, September 13, 2010 8:10 AM

Answers

• Hi Daniell,

Thank you for trying out the beta of Windoww Azure Drives.
    1. Yes, Azure Drives are still in beta.
    2. I know "Subst" will give you access denied if your cmd window is not running as admin, but I haven't seen it when you are running as admin.  What OS are you running on?

Thanks
    Andrew Edwards
    Windows Azure Storage

• Marked as answer by Brad Calder Sunday, March 27, 2011 12:59 AM
    Monday, September 13, 2010 6:12 PM

All replies

• 1. is it release or still beta? is MS still supporting this feature?

[RK] [Yes. This is in production for quite some time] Looks like, this is still in Beta based on Andrew's response. I somehow thought, it is in production already. Sorry for that.

2. I am following the hands-on-lab on Azure Training kit. In the lab "Exploring Azure Storage", exercise 4 about "Drive", step 18 mentioned that type in "subst" command to C:\Users\Daniell\dftmp\wadd\devstoreaccount1\mydrives\SamplePictures.vhd.

[RK] I did not have issues in mounting and running the subst command. Could you make sure, you have done the following tasks,

1.Open the Drive sample  solution in Visual Studio using Run as Administrator option and run.

2. Open Command prompt also with Run as Administrator(you would see [SystemDrive]:/Windows/system32 with this, otherwise it would look like [SystemDrive]:/Users/[UserName]) and type subst.

HTH.

Please mark it as answer by clicking on "Propose As Answer", if it helps
    • Edited by Rajesh Kolla Monday, September 13, 2010 7:07 PM Correction to Beta availability
    Monday, September 13, 2010 1:13 PM
  • There’s another way to open the Windows Azure Drive folder that is not mentioned in the June release of the training kit. Open the Development Storage UI and in the File menu, select Open Azure Drive Folder in Windows Explorer. You can try to see if that works.
    Monday, September 13, 2010 1:23 PM
  • Hi Daniell,

Thank you for trying out the beta of Windoww Azure Drives.
    1. Yes, Azure Drives are still in beta.
    2. I know "Subst" will give you access denied if your cmd window is not running as admin, but I haven't seen it when you are running as admin.  What OS are you running on?

Thanks
    Andrew Edwards
    Windows Azure Storage

• Marked as answer by Brad Calder Sunday, March 27, 2011 12:59 AM
    Monday, September 13, 2010 6:12 PM
  • Hi Andrew

Definitely I've run as admin. I am running on Win7 x64.

Tuesday, September 14, 2010 1:55 AM