none
Looking for advice on importing typed datasets (xsd) to Visual Studio 2015 project RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I'm working on merging several reports and forms from other projects. Some of these projects were originally developed in Visual Studio 2003, but the majority are VS2012 or VS2015.

The code imports fine, but I am having issues with import the typed dataset.

Lets say the file is ClientData.xsd, and the connection string is called Clients. My current steps are:

1) Set up the Clients connection string in the new project.

2) Then do Project/Add Existing Item, and browse to the Clients.xsd file.

This approach has not given consistent results. Various different problems. Sometimes I get hundreds of error "procedure X has multiple definitions with identical signatures ", other times the reports just won't link to the data.

I feel like I must be missing a step.

Has anyone a recommended series of steps for importing the xsd?

Thanks

Tuesday, June 20, 2017 4:50 PM

All replies

• Did you already click on the XSD in Solution Explorer and then right click in the pane where it appears and do "Configure"

Success
    Cor

Tuesday, June 20, 2017 7:05 PM
  • Since the issue really doesn't concern VB.NET due to XSD and Datasets are common solutions, you could post to the C# forum as well. Maybe  Bonnie will see your post. It seems that she does have some expertise on your subject matter.
    Tuesday, June 20, 2017 7:37 PM
  • Hi SimeonD,

According to your description, you want to import type dataset(xsd) to project.

By default, Visual Studio will created a "typed dataset" based on your XSD. You can use that to query your database table and update it if needed.

This xsd contains information dependent on the App.config, specifically it's connection strings. If you just add Project/Add Existing Item, I find there is no new connection string in App.config and having a warning below.

You may need to re-gen the DataSet. When you move the .xsd, you've only moved the xml layout of the DataSet.

Best Regards,

Cherry

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, June 21, 2017 5:22 AM
  • Hi Cherry

I get around that error by creating the connection string first.

What do you mean by "re-gen the DataSet", how would I do that?

Regards

Simeon

Wednesday, June 21, 2017 9:03 AM
  • Hi Cor

There is no Configure option in the right click menu for me.

My options are below:

Wednesday, June 21, 2017 9:06 AM
  • Simeon,

That is not what I see. However, I use the Microsoft Snippingtool and if you click on that the contextmenu disapears. 

If you right click on the tab customers, then configure appears. 

Success
    Cor

Wednesday, June 21, 2017 9:21 AM
  • but with a simple trick I can show that

Success
    Cor

Wednesday, June 21, 2017 9:33 AM
  • Ah, I had right clicked from within Solution Explorer.

Clicking Configure did not fix the issues for me. In fact, even without clicking Configure, the Preview Data returned valid data. But I'm still getting the multiple definitions message.

So it seems the data connection is ok, but the project still won't compile.

Wednesday, June 21, 2017 4:39 PM
  • And you did not got any error generating it?

If there is a multiple definition (maybe something is changed in the database since 2001 which caused that), then that should of course first be fixed. )

Be aware I won't say that there where never problems between the XSD from 2002/3 and newer. However, what you tell sounds in fact promising. 

Success
    Cor

Wednesday, June 21, 2017 4:58 PM