Configure Visio / Project 2013 Autosave via GPO RRS feed

• Question

• We have Office 2013 32bit, on Windows 7 x64 and offer Visio Std / Pro and Project Std / Pro for users who require it.

Autorecover / Autosave is not enabled for either Project or Visio and I need to get this enabled, however have found that the options were removed from the Office 2013 GPO templates from 2010 onwards it seems.

I have tried doing it by regsitry settings, but under HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft there was no 'Office' key, I have added my own Office\15.0\Visio and tried;

autorecoverenabled "1"

autorecovertime "10"

autorecoverpath "%appdata%\Roaming\Microsoft\Visio

But this never worked for Visio. I tried to have a dig through the registry to see where the Excel / Word autorecover settings are defined but they don't appear to be in there.

Any ideas??

Sunday, August 23, 2015 11:47 PM

Answers

• Hi

As you said, we could find the policy “Save AutoRecover info” for Visio has been removed from Office 2010 Administrative Template. 
    Reference:

Office 2010 Administrative Template files (ADM, ADMX/ADML) and Office Customization Tool
    http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=18968
    Office2010GroupPolicyAndOCTSettings_Reference.xls
     It displayed at line 114, “Removed” tab.

I also tested in the Visio 2013, this policy also has been removed.

Then, I have tried to add some DWORD to following location, but it did not work:

Value Name: AutoRecovery, AutoRecoverEnabled

HKCU\software\policies\microsoft\office\15.0\visio\application

HKCU\software\policies\microsoft\office\15.0\visio\options

Next, I try to monitor the difference of registry key when enabled/disabled the auto recover option. There was still no result.

Thus, we might need to edit it manually.

Regards,

George Zhao
    TechNet Community Support

It's recommended to download and install Configuration Analyzer Tool (OffCAT), which is developed by Microsoft Support teams. Once the tool is installed, you can run it at any time to scan for hundreds of known issues in Office programs.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.
    • Edited by George123345 Monday, August 24, 2015 6:29 AM
    • Proposed as answer by George123345 Tuesday, September 8, 2015 7:31 AM
    • Marked as answer by George123345 Tuesday, September 8, 2015 7:32 AM
    Monday, August 24, 2015 6:28 AM

All replies

• Hi

As you said, we could find the policy “Save AutoRecover info” for Visio has been removed from Office 2010 Administrative Template. 
    Reference:

Office 2010 Administrative Template files (ADM, ADMX/ADML) and Office Customization Tool
    http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=18968
    Office2010GroupPolicyAndOCTSettings_Reference.xls
     It displayed at line 114, “Removed” tab.

I also tested in the Visio 2013, this policy also has been removed.

Then, I have tried to add some DWORD to following location, but it did not work:

Value Name: AutoRecovery, AutoRecoverEnabled

HKCU\software\policies\microsoft\office\15.0\visio\application

HKCU\software\policies\microsoft\office\15.0\visio\options

Next, I try to monitor the difference of registry key when enabled/disabled the auto recover option. There was still no result.

Thus, we might need to edit it manually.

Regards,

George Zhao
    TechNet Community Support

It's recommended to download and install Configuration Analyzer Tool (OffCAT), which is developed by Microsoft Support teams. Once the tool is installed, you can run it at any time to scan for hundreds of known issues in Office programs.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.
    • Edited by George123345 Monday, August 24, 2015 6:29 AM
    • Proposed as answer by George123345 Tuesday, September 8, 2015 7:31 AM
    • Marked as answer by George123345 Tuesday, September 8, 2015 7:32 AM
    Monday, August 24, 2015 6:28 AM
  • Old post, but in case someone runs in to this.

I have found that if you configure Visio to put all settings in registry via GPO (User Configuration > Administrative Templates > Microsoft Visio <version> > Visio Options > Advanced > General Options > Put all settings in Windows registry) then you can enable AutoRecover via a registry preference by setting these two registry keys:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\<version>\Visio\Application\<AutoRecovery> = 1 (REG_SZ)

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\<version>\Visio\Application\<AutoRecoveryInterval>  =  10 (REG_SZ, in minutes)

Tested this with Office 2016

• Edited by GuidovK Monday, October 2, 2017 9:07 AM
    Monday, October 2, 2017 9:05 AM