Why can a closed line not contain anything? RRS feed

• Question

• I don't see the point of a closed line. I would have thought that a closed line could contain other geometries. However it seems only polygons can contain other geometries, which makes sense as it is 2 dimensional and a line is 1 dimensional.

Monday, December 10, 2007 3:04 PM

Answers

• It sounds like you answered your own question? :-) A closed line is useful for lots of cases where you only care about the boundaries of the object such as an island or a lake.  If you extract the Rings from a Polygon (using STExteriorRing/STInteriorRingN on geometry, and RingN on geography), they will be represented as closed linestrings.

As a a closed linestring has no boundary, it will contain (STContains) any point on any of its edges.

Monday, December 10, 2007 7:54 PM

All replies

• It sounds like you answered your own question? :-) A closed line is useful for lots of cases where you only care about the boundaries of the object such as an island or a lake.  If you extract the Rings from a Polygon (using STExteriorRing/STInteriorRingN on geometry, and RingN on geography), they will be represented as closed linestrings.

As a a closed linestring has no boundary, it will contain (STContains) any point on any of its edges.

Monday, December 10, 2007 7:54 PM
  •  

Thats what I thought, so in essenece IsClosed just validates STPointN(1) = STPointN(STNumPoints)
    Monday, December 10, 2007 7:58 PM
  • Yup---that's pretty much right.

Cheers,

-Isaac

Tuesday, December 11, 2007 12:59 AM
  • I have a SqlGeometry that is a polygon with donut holes cut out.  All I really want is the outer perimeter as a polygon with no holes.  What would the best approach be to get this as a polygon, given that STExteriorRing returns a LineString?

Friday, February 8, 2008 11:04 PM
  • I can't think of anything other than the STExterior ring:

Code Snippet

DECLARE @poly Geometry;
    SET @poly = Geometry::STGeomFromText('POLYGON((0 0,0 10, 10 10, 10 0, 0 0),(2 2,8 2,8 8,2 8,2 2))',4326);

SELECT @poly.STExteriorRing();

But as you say, this gives you a linestring though - NOT a polygon.

Instead you might be able to use the convex hull instead, if you need the polygon:

Code Snippet
    SELECT @poly.STConvexHull();

That will only work if your polygon is convex though!

There is also a not very pretty way if doing it, by converting the exterior ring linestring to a polygon using some string manipulation (please tell me there's a better way to do this! :-):

Code Snippet

SELECT Geometry::STGeomFromText(REPLACE(@poly.STExteriorRing().ToString(),'LINESTRING (','POLYGON ((')+')',@poly.STSrid);

Saturday, February 9, 2008 3:52 AM
    Answerer