Blazor future compatibility (expirimental?) RRS feed

• Question

• User2110873642 posted

I understand the difference between serverside and clientside Blazor.

Ive read that blazor clientside is expirimental. server side however, doesnt look all that mature to me either, mostly because its hacky to implement with MVC. does that mean that if i create a deep project, that it will cause a lot of issues in the future, due to microsoft changing how things are done in blazor?

Sunday, July 19, 2020 6:41 PM

Answers

• User-821857111 posted

Mikesdotnetting

Placing pages in different subfolders does not result in different processes being used.

yes it does. all subfolders run seperately, and all of these processes have their own boot time when the folder is browed for the first time. they idle independently. it happens with an completely new empty project, you can reproduce it for yourself.

With respect, I can't reproduce it because I am unclear what you mean. Are you talking about the old Web Site project type (as opposed to the Web Application project type), where you can upload aspx files to the web server and utilize the compilation on demand feature? If so, that's not supported in MVC or Blazor.

Mikesdotnetting

Blazor is purely a UI generation framework. it is not designed for managing data exchange.

server side blazor is a data exchange framework as well as a UI framework. the whole point for serverblazor is to exchange data to and from the view. its the main reason why i use it in the first place.

The whole point of Blazor Server was to enable the early release of a Blazor development model before they had solved all the technical issues that they had with creating an acceptable version of the .NET runtime that would compile against WebAssembly.  Perhaps our understanding of Data Exchange differs? 

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Monday, July 20, 2020 4:18 PM

All replies

• User475983607 posted

fazioliamboina

Ive read that blazor clientside is expirimental. server side however, doesnt look all that mature to me either, mostly because its hacky to implement with MVC.

Blazor Web Assembly is the future and competes with frameworks like Angular and React.

MVC and Blazor solve the same basic problem and are not intended to be implemented together.  I agree implementing SignalR with MVC requires a hack. 

fazioliamboina

does that mean that if i create a deep project, that it will cause a lot of issues in the future, due to microsoft changing how things are done in blazor?

All the SPA frameworks change quickly.    It's just the nature of Web Development.  

Sunday, July 19, 2020 7:01 PM
  • User2110873642 posted

Blazor Web Assembly is the future and competes with frameworks like Angular and React.

But serverside Blazor doesnt use assembly right? im only interested in server side, because for clientside i would have used native javascript just to stick with MVC. i need serverside blazor for the server connection for data exchange.

so serverside blazor is also called web assembly?

MVC and Blazor solve the same basic problem

This tickled my brain for a second. Im lost. it might help if you try to explain to me, what 'basic problem' we actually are talking about that MVC and Blazor both solve? because im my noob eyes, im simply seeing pages again which made me asume that it is just as messy as webforms.

I wanted to move from webforms to MVC, because organising pages into subfolders on webforms seemed to somehow run all folders in different processes causing freezes when navigating between folders while doing href's at runtime. does blazor fix this same issue for me?

I understand that Blazor has C# frontend, and that razor by itself doesnt. But does that still mean that Razor and Blazer solve the 'problem' the same way? or does blazor do it entirely different?

are there any docs or videos that explain the Blazor structure pattern rather than its C# front-end features? because its C# front features are all im seeing when googling the subject. Or should i simply google about razor itself to achieve that? is the razor background still applying to blazor?

i would like to avoid hacking my own filesystem by being improperly instructed.

So you are basicaly saying, that if i move to Blazor that i wont need MVC because Blazor is maintainable enough?

All the SPA frameworks change quickly

im not intending to create a single page app. I want to use blazor in big scale actual websites, its just that i want to achieve the data exchange during a page his lifetime. or is blazor not good enough to deal with that? would it get too messy?

Sunday, July 19, 2020 7:21 PM
  • User475983607 posted

fazioliamboina

so serverside blazor is also called web assembly?

No.  There are two hosting models for Blazor.  Please see the docs; https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/aspnet/core/blazor/hosting-models?view=aspnetcore-3.1

fazioliamboina

This tickled my brain for a second. Im lost. it might help if you try to explain to me, what 'basic problem' we actually are talking about that MVC and Blazor both solve? because im my noob eyes, im simply seeing pages again which made me asume that it is just as messy as webforms.

Both Blazor and MVC create dynamic HTML.  The difference is where and how.  Again, the linked doc above explains the technical details.

Sunday, July 19, 2020 7:47 PM
  • User-821857111 posted

I wanted to move from webforms to MVC, because organising pages into subfolders on webforms seemed to somehow run all folders in different processes causing freezes when navigating between folders while doing href's at runtime. does blazor fix this same issue for me?
    Placing pages in different subfolders does not result in different processes being used. I assume that you are experiencing some unexplained issue for which you are guessing the reason? I think you need to work out exactly what your issue is, and the cause. It's impossible to tell you if something will solve it if no one knows what causes the issue.

Razor is a syntax template, just as <asp:blah> or <%=foo %> is. It provides instructions to the rendering engine to tell it how to generate HTML form the template content. ASP.NET MVC has been able to leverage the Razor view engine along with the Web Forms view engine since about 10 years ago. MVC Core doesn't support the Web Forms view engine at all.

The WebAssembly version of Blazor is no longer experimental. It is a fully released and supported product. Blazor is purely a UI generation framework. it is not designed for managing data exchange. It generates HTML.

Monday, July 20, 2020 3:18 PM
  • User2110873642 posted

Placing pages in different subfolders does not result in different processes being used.

yes it does. all subfolders run seperately, and all of these processes have their own boot time when the folder is browed for the first time. they idle independently. it happens with an completely new empty project, you can reproduce it for yourself.

Blazor is purely a UI generation framework. it is not designed for managing data exchange.

server side blazor is a data exchange framework as well as a UI framework. the whole point for serverblazor is to exchange data to and from the view. its the main reason why i use it in the first place.

Monday, July 20, 2020 3:33 PM
  • User-821857111 posted

Mikesdotnetting

With respect, I can't reproduce it because I am unclear what you mean. Are you talking about the old Web Site project type (as opposed to the Web Application project type), where you can upload aspx files to the web server and utilize the compilation on demand feature? If so, that's not supported in MVC or Blazor.

Mikesdotnetting

The whole point of Blazor Server was to enable the early release of a Blazor development model before they had solved all the technical issues that they had with creating an acceptable version of the .NET runtime that would compile against WebAssembly.  Perhaps our understanding of Data Exchange differs? 

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Monday, July 20, 2020 4:18 PM
  • User2041008840 posted

You should go with Blazor WASM. Its really easy solve so many complex coding problem. Follow the Blazor WASM because its the future of Web. Angular and React also moving towards the wasm. The wasm has ability to implement 3D Model And AR VR AI Modules seamlessly because its totally on Client so your server does not calculate the higher cost. Its saves alot of money and time.

Thursday, August 20, 2020 5:29 PM
  • User2041008840 posted

Microsoft is already ahead of this. I believe blazor WASM is the future of web.

Thursday, August 20, 2020 5:30 PM