Can't renew dev lic for vs 11?

Question

• Hello guys.

Today VS said that I needed to renew my dev lic. After doing everything it asked (including introducing the live id password), I'm always ending with the "We couldn't get your developer license for Windows 8 COnsumer Preview" error. FOr now, I thought that I could really live without this lic, but the problem is that it won't even let me deploy an app for my local machine. in other words, it seems like I can't do anything Metro related work without this lic

Is there any "manual" way for renewing this lic?

Some more info: I've tried renewing it from the powershell, and I've ended with the same results. Removing it and asking for a new one also ended up with the same results.

thanks.

Luis Abreu

Tuesday, May 1, 2012 1:52 PM

Answers

• Amy, I've been taking this off this list with Mike.

After complaining about the initial workaround (which was to reinstall win 8!), it seems like there's another possibility: you need to remove (ie. uninstall) all metro apps which you've built and deployed on your machine. after doing that, you should be able to renew the lic after waiting for 2 days. I've only removed the apps yesterday, so I'll only be able to see if it's working on monday...

Luis Abreu

Saturday, May 5, 2012 1:23 PM

All replies

• doenst help, but same for me :-(

off work since 8 hours

Tuesday, May 1, 2012 4:24 PM
  • really bad. I'0m stuck and can't do anything much without that lic...

Luis Abreu

Tuesday, May 1, 2012 5:19 PM
  • can anyone give me any more info about this? is there any manual check I need to do?

thanks.,

Luis Abreu

Wednesday, May 2, 2012 5:08 PM
  • Hi Luis,

Let's get some more details:

we need to get more details:

Run powershell as an administrator.

Run the cmdlet Show-WindowsDeveloperLicenseRegistration.  After failure, check the event log

1. open the start menu
    2. type event viewer
    3. Select Settings
    4. click 'view event logs'
    5. Look in the Administrative Events Section (under Custom Views)
    6. Look for a Error Entry with a source of 'Store-Licensing'
    7. Open up the entry
    8. Click Details
    9. Switch to XML View

thanks!

mike

Wednesday, May 2, 2012 8:40 PM
  • Hello MIke.

Here's what I've ended up with in the event log:

- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
    - <System>
      <Provider Name="Microsoft-WS-Licensing" Guid="{ED76D77F-7FB5-4EE4-8268-EE46212CB2D3}" />
      <EventID>258</EventID>
      <Version>0</Version>
      <Level>2</Level>
      <Task>0</Task>
      <Opcode>0</Opcode>
      <Keywords>0x2000000000000001</Keywords>
      <TimeCreated SystemTime="2012-05-02T19:58:21.945216600Z" />
      <EventRecordID>483</EventRecordID>
      <Correlation ActivityID="{79D43881-279F-0001-4D40-D4799F27CD01}" />
      <Execution ProcessID="5408" ThreadID="7088" />
      <Channel>Microsoft-WS-Licensing/Admin</Channel>
      <Computer>alpha</Computer>
      <Security UserID="S-1-5-21-1439348159-2732569067-1716496423-1000" />
      </System>
    - <EventData>
      <Data Name="ErrorString">A quota was exceeded.</Data>
      <Data Name="HRESULT">2151481352</Data>
      </EventData>

</Event>

Any clues on how to solve this?

Luis Abreu

Wednesday, May 2, 2012 9:01 PM
  • Btw, I've tested this in my second pc (at work) and I'm getting the same error.

all the machines which already had a lic and need to be "refreshed" won't get the new lic. Interestingly, I've managed to get a new lic for my old netbook with  the same windows live account, so the problem isn't probably related with my live account.

Luis Abreu

Thursday, May 3, 2012 7:44 AM
  • bump?

still no answer? 

Luis Abreu

Thursday, May 3, 2012 8:24 PM
  • Hi Luis,

I am looking into this now.

I will get back to shortly on the next steps.

thanks,

mike

Thursday, May 3, 2012 8:52 PM
  • thanks. just needed to be sure that it was still being investigated.

Luis Abreu

Thursday, May 3, 2012 9:18 PM
  • Hi Luis,

could you get me a little more data for troubleshooting:

In powershell running as administrator

logman start wstrace -bs 64 -ft 1 -rt -p Microsoft-Windows-WebServices -o mytrace.etl -ets
    Show-windowsdeveloperlicenseregistration
    logman stop wstrace -ets

Could you zip and send me mytrace.etl to mikewong at microsoft.com?

I am checking with the product group in parallel.

thanks for the patience,

mike

Thursday, May 3, 2012 10:30 PM
  • Hello again Mike.

I've already sent you the file you've requested. Please let me know if there's anything else you need from me.

thanks

Luis Abreu

Friday, May 4, 2012 7:39 AM
  • omg my developer license just came up for renewal and im having the same problem of not being able to renew. the error is identical

- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
    - <System>
      <Provider Name="Microsoft-WS-Licensing" Guid="{ED76D77F-7FB5-4EE4-8268-EE46212CB2D3}" />
      <EventID>258</EventID>
      <Version>0</Version>
      <Level>2</Level>
      <Task>0</Task>
      <Opcode>0</Opcode>
      <Keywords>0x2000000000000001</Keywords>
      <TimeCreated SystemTime="2012-05-05T06:48:26.580800800Z" />
      <EventRecordID>481</EventRecordID>
      <Correlation ActivityID="{12DAF9CA-2A89-0001-0E0D-DB12892ACD01}" />
      <Execution ProcessID="3700" ThreadID="1504" />
      <Channel>Microsoft-WS-Licensing/Admin</Channel>
      <Computer>Amyz</Computer>
      <Security UserID="S-1-5-21-1902543722-2697780120-2065235800-1001" />
      </System>
    - <EventData>
      <Data Name="ErrorString">A quota was exceeded.</Data>
      <Data Name="HRESULT">2151481352</Data>
      </EventData>
      </Event>

"we couldnt get your developer license for windows 8 consumer preview"

urgent fix needed as i cant test any of my apps or run any of my existing ones because it just brings up the windows store and says developer license has expired please renew. 

Saturday, May 5, 2012 6:57 AM
  • Amy, I've been taking this off this list with Mike.

After complaining about the initial workaround (which was to reinstall win 8!), it seems like there's another possibility: you need to remove (ie. uninstall) all metro apps which you've built and deployed on your machine. after doing that, you should be able to renew the lic after waiting for 2 days. I've only removed the apps yesterday, so I'll only be able to see if it's working on monday...

Luis Abreu

Saturday, May 5, 2012 1:23 PM
  • having to wait 2 days seems quite odd to me but I have done as you suggested and uninstalled all my apps however i dont know if i can wait that long because ive already lost a full days development.  did they tell you what the 2 day wait was for? what difference would 2 days make hehe

i was thinking that it could be due to the maintenance going on in the store but if reinstalling windows 8 solves the problem then it doesnt sound like a problem related to our windows accounts it would appear to me to be a corrupt file on the system or something which microsoft should have been able to find and give us the solution.  whatever the problem is i hope it gets fixed soon because i wouldnt like to have to reinstall windows 8 every month to renew my license.

thanks for replying and the help i will let you know how i get on and if i manage to fix it without a reinstall x

Saturday, May 5, 2012 9:22 PM
  • Hello again.

I really don't know why we need to wait 2 days, but that was the info I received...I've lost almost a week now, but reinstalling isn't really an option to me...

Luis Abreu

Saturday, May 5, 2012 9:40 PM
  • Thumbs up!

Today, 2 days after removing all the apps from my machine, I've renewed my developer lic!

Special thanks go to Mike Wong for not giving up and taking the time to help me with this problem.

Luis Abreu

Monday, May 7, 2012 7:51 PM
  • I'm also seeing this issue when trying to renew a developer license that was working fine last week. The XML in the event log entry looks pretty identical to those posted above, apart from the "Security UserID" and "Computer" of course.

I uninstalled all the apps I'd built and waited 3 days, but I'm still seeing problems here.

*edit* Just remembered I had a Win8 Virtual Machine using the same Microsoft ID with some local built apps on it - just deleted them now, so I guess I'll need to wait another 2 days and see.

• Edited by optop92 Tuesday, May 22, 2012 3:08 PM Update with new information
    Tuesday, May 22, 2012 1:50 PM
  • You can try to change the date in the pc and see if it works :)

Luis Abreu

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 10:52 PM