none
Outlook added region setup fail (Formregion XML and Registry) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I am working in Visual basic in Visual Studio 2013 Premium

I have made an add-in to Outlook, that adds a small region to the Appointment region, that includes a few fields and a button. I have the functionality working nicely in debug - and now got to test deployment: Major steelreinforced brickwall!

I have gotten sofar, that the addin registry to register the addin vsto with outlook seems to work on my setup, but the region never shows. I have read about the Outlook/Formregion/IPM.Appointment Regsz I need to make, but something is eluding me.

Where do I get the xml file that shows how the addin should map?

Where do I get the ofs file? should I just use the vsto file? I get no ofs file created from my project.

Are there any way to see what Visual studio does when you hit debug and steal the info from there? (And why don't they generate that information for us automatically, since they seem to have it already!?)

I hope you can make heads and tails of my questions, and can help me continue - right now I am just crosseyed at looking at the same documents and not finding an answer that makes any sense.

Best Regards

Brian

Saturday, March 7, 2015 2:36 PM

Answers

• Found it myself.

When doing the debug run - you can see the needed registry under hkcu software etc. A few modifications need to be made, but those are more or less covered in the installation guide documents

Best Regards Brian

Saturday, March 7, 2015 4:06 PM
  • From https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc442767.aspx

64-bit

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE(32-Bit)\Microsoft\Office\Excel\Addins\SampleCompany.ExcelAddIn                          

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE(64-Bit)\Microsoft\Office\Excel\Addins\SampleCompany.ExcelAddIn

That was the easy one, then when adding a form region, they come with a note:

Important note                     Important                  

If you create a custom form region in an add-in for Outlook, you must create more registry entries to register the region with Outlook. For more information, see Registry Entries for Outlook Form Regions.

That was the tricky one where they tell about all possible senarios, and it just wasn't obvious to me, that the one I needed was:

Root\Software\Microsoft\Office\Outlook\FormRegions\message class

followed by

=MyAddinProject1.ConnectClass.

from https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb206787.aspx

I might just have gone blind of something obvious, but really couldnt connect the dots myself (hope this might help someone else in the same situation) :) 

Best Regards Brian

Sunday, March 8, 2015 12:25 PM

All replies

• Found it myself.

When doing the debug run - you can see the needed registry under hkcu software etc. A few modifications need to be made, but those are more or less covered in the installation guide documents

Best Regards Brian

Saturday, March 7, 2015 4:06 PM
  • Brian,

It looks like you use an old approach for creating form regions. Instead, you may consider creating a form region in Visual Studio, see the Creating Outlook Form Regions section in MSDN for more information.

Sunday, March 8, 2015 11:55 AM
  • Hi Eugene,

I actually did follow that specific page. And it is really good an usefull for setting it all up, and making it Work in debug mode - the wall was when creating the setup project (I was surely missing some information, and wasnt able to procure it that page or the linked pages). I dont understand why the install project isn't able to precreate those regkeys by itself :-/

I didn't have to use ofs and XML files, just set a =Myaddinname regsz - but for a firsttime try, that was all but obvious.

Best Regards Brian

Sunday, March 8, 2015 12:01 PM
  • What registry keys are you talking about?

The page states the following:

Form regions are deployed automatically with the associated Outlook add-in. Therefore, you do not have to perform any special tasks to deploy a form region. For more information about deploying add-ins, see Deploying an Office Solution.

Sunday, March 8, 2015 12:10 PM
  • From https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc442767.aspx

64-bit

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE(32-Bit)\Microsoft\Office\Excel\Addins\SampleCompany.ExcelAddIn                          

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE(64-Bit)\Microsoft\Office\Excel\Addins\SampleCompany.ExcelAddIn

That was the easy one, then when adding a form region, they come with a note:

Important note                     Important                  

If you create a custom form region in an add-in for Outlook, you must create more registry entries to register the region with Outlook. For more information, see Registry Entries for Outlook Form Regions.

That was the tricky one where they tell about all possible senarios, and it just wasn't obvious to me, that the one I needed was:

Root\Software\Microsoft\Office\Outlook\FormRegions\message class

followed by

=MyAddinProject1.ConnectClass.

from https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb206787.aspx

I might just have gone blind of something obvious, but really couldnt connect the dots myself (hope this might help someone else in the same situation) :) 

Best Regards Brian

Sunday, March 8, 2015 12:25 PM
  • Brian,

There is no need to use manifest. Did you created and design the form region in Outlook or Visual Studio?

See How to: Add a Form Region to an Outlook Add-in Project for more information.

Sunday, March 8, 2015 12:39 PM
  • It is 100% created in VS 2013. But I needed it deployed in a setup.exe to all users on the target computers. So I could not use ClickOnce - and Installshield does nothing for you in regards to setting needed registrykeys and files to bring in the install. As you might see from my links, the information with regards to regions is at best ambigious - but if you dont set them, it simply wont work.

Best Regards Brian

Sunday, March 8, 2015 12:43 PM
  • Okay. Thank you for sharing the solution for other forum readers!
    Sunday, March 8, 2015 12:56 PM