none
Thread Ban Tool

General discussion

• I'd like to propose a moderator feature to add a "ban" list to every thread so that an individual contributor can be prevented from continuing to troll a particular thread. These bans could then easily be tallied into point reductions and/or used to flag administrators when punitive action needs to be taken against repeat offenders.

Right now the only thing we can do to stop an in-process flame war, or troll attack, is to lock the thread until an Admin can get around to doing something about the problem user(s).  That isn't fair to the OP who may have an actual issue pending within the thread. We need a better tool for dealing with problems on-the-spot.

I believe this feature would greatly enhance the moderator's ability to maintain order in their forums, and would facilitate the escalation of problem-users to the administrative staff.

Reed Kimble - "When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all"

Thursday, May 12, 2016 8:48 PM

All replies

• Good suggestion, the only issue is when banned they can create a new profile. The only way around this (and this can be defeated too) is to block an IP address.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.
    VB Forums - moderator
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites

Friday, May 13, 2016 10:49 AM
  • This should be a two way street.

That way when you receive emails from anybody who is an MCC, MVP and moderator cussing you out (basically stalking you) then they should be stripped of anything to do with being a moderator or being an MVP really. I've never seen a moderator have anything done for doing this which happened to me.

Even those moderators that would opinionate something wrong which happens often enough could use some refreshing feedback from somewhere although I suppose that never happens. Like a male moderator telling a female poster that what she believes is sexist isn't cause he somehow magically has the ability to know what a female should feel about sexism. We've seen that before haven't we Reed. Or any other opinions forced onto people which are inaccurate and enforced by the power providing the opinion.

I'm fairly certain you boys or whatever will never allow that to happen.

La vida loca

Friday, May 13, 2016 1:16 PM

That way when you receive emails from anybody who is an MCC, MVP and moderator cussing you out (basically stalking you) then they should be stripped of anything to do with being a moderator or being an MVP really. I've never seen a moderator have anything done for doing this which happened to me.

There is fissues [at] Microsoft [dot] com and also Q14 here.

https://mvp.microsoft.com/en-us/faq#20130220163909

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Friday, May 13, 2016 4:27 PM

There is fissues [at] Microsoft [dot] com and also Q14 here.

https://mvp.microsoft.com/en-us/faq#20130220163909

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

That's nice. In the US Police shoot the wrong people all the time. Cities are financially burdened to the point of bankruptcy from things like this. I never contact the police anymore for assistance since they have never done anything in the couple times I called them in my life (the only time they ever even showed up was when some people were imitating police in Miami and the real police did nothing except talk to the people for felony offenses).

And fissues can't even fix the forums. I'm certainly not going to the police about one of their own but thanks for the input. It's not like others in the MS police were unaware of any of this. And I'm sure that those that were would look any way but straight in your eyes when asked bout it or grovel in some fashion as to why they didn't do nuttin.

La vida loca

Friday, May 13, 2016 5:11 PM
  • Well then it seems there really was no point in your original comment since you are unwilling to take any action.

Friday, May 13, 2016 5:20 PM
  • Well then it seems there really was no point in your original comment since you are unwilling to take any action.

That's pretty funny Dave. Thanks for the opinion and input though.

La vida loca

Friday, May 13, 2016 5:23 PM
  • I have found fissues to be helpful for issues like the ones addressed in this thread.

Richard Mueller - MVP Enterprise Mobility (Identity and Access)

Friday, May 13, 2016 5:44 PM
  • Good suggestion, the only issue is when banned they can create a new profile. The only way around this (and this can be defeated too) is to block an IP address.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.
    VB Forums - moderator
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites

Good point Karen.

Maybe if a thread has banned users, then users with 0 point count can't post to the thread (similar to posting pictures until your account is "verified").  That should provide the time necessary for an admin to get to the thread and deal with the abuser(s).

Reed Kimble - "When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all"

Friday, May 13, 2016 6:06 PM
  • Here. We just got this again, in our face. 

-- pa

Friday, May 27, 2016 9:10 PM
  • Hi

As we have now had another spate of spamming, I'd like to add that it would be very pleasurable to have a button to allow that user posts to be hidden - only for the person clicking the button. A little like the Alert Me button, but just to hide the posts instead - it would make life much better until a moderator can deal with the actual posts.

Regards Les, Livingston, Scotland

Friday, May 27, 2016 9:49 PM