none
"I Agree" button, form. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a client who has a Sharepoint site which serves as a document repository.  They want to have a feature where, when a new user first connects, they have to read a confidentiality agreement and click "I Agree" before they can access the documents in the site - and I assume, have the browser remember that they agreed and not ask them when they visit again in the future.  Is there a simple way of doing this?  I'm pretty green at all this and would appreciate any help.

Thanks!

-P
    Monday, February 2, 2009 4:39 PM

Answers

• This will require some custom development, probably using a HttpHandler that redirected users to a custom ASPX page that had the agreement on it before sending them to the site. It would be doen differentyl depending on whether users only need to agree once or agree each time they come to the site.
    Brian Farnhill
    Microsoft Certified Application Developer
    http://pointstoshare.spaces.live.com
    Canberra SharePoint User Group
    Monday, February 2, 2009 8:20 PM
  • P - Brian's way would work perfectly - but how about this as an alternative:
    Set up forms based authentication and have the users register to access the site and in particular that page.  that way you just ask them to create a username and password, agree to the T&C and then have them register.  And then get them to sign in every time they visit, I think most users are getting used to having to log in to get information.

Mike
    Tuesday, February 3, 2009 11:13 AM
  • Here's a way you can do it without any code, but it would be a manual process to give the user permissions to the document repository.

1) Create a new site (which will only serve the purpose of having them agree with the policy) and give all users contribute access.

2) Create a custom list within your new site called User Agreement, with a choice column entitled user agreement with two choices (I agree, I do not agree) - select the option to use radio buttons.

3) After creating your list, click the new button to fill out the form, when you are in your new form page (the url will have NewForm.aspx? within it).  After the ? in the url, enter the following without the quotes "ToolPaneView=2".  This will put the page in Edit Mode, where you can add a Content Editor Webpart.  Then you can put your user agreement text within the Content Editor Webpart.  Exit the Page.

This way the end user can read the agreement and select whether or not they wish to comply with the agreement.  All user replies are stored in the list - which you can set an alert to be notified as soon as someone fills out the form.  Then you can grant that user permission to your document repository site.

-- Ben

Wednesday, February 4, 2009 4:16 AM

All replies

• This will require some custom development, probably using a HttpHandler that redirected users to a custom ASPX page that had the agreement on it before sending them to the site. It would be doen differentyl depending on whether users only need to agree once or agree each time they come to the site.
    Brian Farnhill
    Microsoft Certified Application Developer
    http://pointstoshare.spaces.live.com
    Canberra SharePoint User Group
    Monday, February 2, 2009 8:20 PM
  • P - Brian's way would work perfectly - but how about this as an alternative:
    Set up forms based authentication and have the users register to access the site and in particular that page.  that way you just ask them to create a username and password, agree to the T&C and then have them register.  And then get them to sign in every time they visit, I think most users are getting used to having to log in to get information.

Mike
    Tuesday, February 3, 2009 11:13 AM
  • Here's a way you can do it without any code, but it would be a manual process to give the user permissions to the document repository.

1) Create a new site (which will only serve the purpose of having them agree with the policy) and give all users contribute access.

2) Create a custom list within your new site called User Agreement, with a choice column entitled user agreement with two choices (I agree, I do not agree) - select the option to use radio buttons.

3) After creating your list, click the new button to fill out the form, when you are in your new form page (the url will have NewForm.aspx? within it).  After the ? in the url, enter the following without the quotes "ToolPaneView=2".  This will put the page in Edit Mode, where you can add a Content Editor Webpart.  Then you can put your user agreement text within the Content Editor Webpart.  Exit the Page.

This way the end user can read the agreement and select whether or not they wish to comply with the agreement.  All user replies are stored in the list - which you can set an alert to be notified as soon as someone fills out the form.  Then you can grant that user permission to your document repository site.

-- Ben

Wednesday, February 4, 2009 4:16 AM