none
Are Visual Installer projects standard in VS 2010?

Question

• We have an enterprise license for Visual Studio 2010 where I work. I just had it installed, but when I went to File > New... > Project and looked for Other Project Types > Setup and Deployment Projects to look for the Visual Studio Installer type, it wasn't there.  The only entry under Other Project Types is Visual Studio Solutions.

Are Visual Studio Installer projects available only for certain licenses? I'm wondering if maybe the installation did not complete successfully (it was pushed over our intranet to my system overnight, and my system had not restarted correctly when I returned).

Here is the version information on the About Microsoft Visual Studio dialog:

Microsoft Visual Studio 2010
    Version 10.0.30319.1 RTMRel
    (c) 2010 Microsoft Corporation

Thanks for any advice.

Tuesday, May 24, 2016 5:15 PM

Answers

• Hi Bruce,

>>oops - I get an error saying that I cannot post images until Microsoft can verify my account, whatever that means.

For this issue, you could verify your account here:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=reportabug&filter=alltypes&sort=lastpostdesc

>>The "About" dialog says that I have "Visual Studio Shell" (?), licensed to Microsoft.

I feel that you just use the VS shell, not the real complete VS Editor, as far as I know, it was used to create the SSDT-BI projects.

Like the following screen shot, I use the VS2010 Ultimate version, I also installed the SP1.

So you would install the real VS IDE(not the shell), check it again.

Best Regards,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, May 26, 2016 6:59 AM
  • Hi Bruce,

As far as I know, the VS2010 shell just was a simple VS editor, it is a base for developing some parts of IDEs. Actually I installed it in a clean machine, it really doesn't support the Setup project.

So you would use the High VS2010 version like the VS2010 Ultimate.

Best Regards,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Friday, May 27, 2016 3:15 AM

All replies

• Hi B. Elliott,

Which VS 2010 version did you install?

I just test it in my VS2010 Ultimate with SP1, it really has those projects.

I didn't have a new Environment test it again since I installed it for a few days, if possible, I suggest you install the Visual Studio SDK:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-hk/download/details.aspx?id=21835

Please also install the VS2010 SP1, test it again.

If still no help, I suggest you repair your VS2010, check it again.

Best Regards,

Jack

Wednesday, May 25, 2016 2:40 AM
  • Jack,

Thanks for your response. Here's the Help > About MVS screen:

(oops - I get an error saying that I cannot post images until Microsoft can verify my account, whatever that means ...)

The "About" dialog says that I have "Visual Studio Shell" (?), licensed to Microsoft, and below that is the version information in my original post, above.

When I go to File > New > Project ... I don't see the "Setup and Deployment" node under "Other Project Types," or "Setup Project" under that. Should I expect to see them? 

Thanks,

Bruce

Wednesday, May 25, 2016 1:30 PM
  • Hi Bruce,

>>oops - I get an error saying that I cannot post images until Microsoft can verify my account, whatever that means.

For this issue, you could verify your account here:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=reportabug&filter=alltypes&sort=lastpostdesc

>>The "About" dialog says that I have "Visual Studio Shell" (?), licensed to Microsoft.

I feel that you just use the VS shell, not the real complete VS Editor, as far as I know, it was used to create the SSDT-BI projects.

Like the following screen shot, I use the VS2010 Ultimate version, I also installed the SP1.

So you would install the real VS IDE(not the shell), check it again.

Best Regards,

Jack

Thursday, May 26, 2016 6:59 AM
  • Jack,

I"m not sure what "Visual Studio 2010 Shell" means - it sounds like a command-line interface (that's what "shell" means to me), but I do seem to have the full IDE. I certainly have the VS window with the Solution Explorer and Properties panes, as well as many others that I can open from the View menu.

Maybe I should check with my IT department to see exactly what features our license entitles us to.

Bruce

Thursday, May 26, 2016 2:09 PM
  • Hi Bruce,

As far as I know, the VS2010 shell just was a simple VS editor, it is a base for developing some parts of IDEs. Actually I installed it in a clean machine, it really doesn't support the Setup project.

So you would use the High VS2010 version like the VS2010 Ultimate.

Best Regards,

Jack

Friday, May 27, 2016 3:15 AM