none
Autonumber field skipped hundreds of items RRS feed

• Question

• I built a database using an Access 2013 web app for SharePoint Online that allows users to input requests and track those requests. As of last week, we had about 125 unique requests in the main table of the database. I know this because every table in an Access web app has an auto generated primary key field called ID.

Starting yesterday (11/30/15), any new request now has an ID starting at 1125. I would've expected any new request to have an ID of 126. I haven't touched the app's backend in weeks.

Has Microsoft pushed any changes that might have affected this? Has anyone else seen this issue?

Tuesday, December 1, 2015 10:42 PM

Answers

• the old story was always that autonumber guarantees a unique ID - but not sequential.  But across time it has been so reliable in being sequential that one doesn't see this question very often.

of course someone could have manually added lots of records and then deleted them to move the numbering up, plus there are techniques to insert an autonumber value using an action query that will set/reset where it is numbering - and while that probably isn't your scenario I throw it in so that you know that one can move the autonumber point somewhat....so that a change in its number isn't really all that extraordinary

so if you need a sequential numbering as a visual display you probably want to use a little code with a +1 math that runs during data entry or as a table macro rather than rely on the autonumber field

Tuesday, December 1, 2015 11:46 PM

All replies

• the old story was always that autonumber guarantees a unique ID - but not sequential.  But across time it has been so reliable in being sequential that one doesn't see this question very often.

of course someone could have manually added lots of records and then deleted them to move the numbering up, plus there are techniques to insert an autonumber value using an action query that will set/reset where it is numbering - and while that probably isn't your scenario I throw it in so that you know that one can move the autonumber point somewhat....so that a change in its number isn't really all that extraordinary

so if you need a sequential numbering as a visual display you probably want to use a little code with a +1 math that runs during data entry or as a table macro rather than rely on the autonumber field

Tuesday, December 1, 2015 11:46 PM
  • msdnPublicIdentity, that is so interesting. I think your first diagnosis is probably the most likely, given that there are only a handful of users who even work with the app.

My assumption was that auto generated fields are always sequential. But I guess that's not the case.

I'll probably take your advice and create a macro that creates sequential numbering.

Wednesday, December 2, 2015 3:05 AM