none
Upgrade behaviour when publishing a new release of a Windows 8.1 app?

Question

• Hi,

I have previously published a Windows 8 app in the Windows Store. This app could be installed on Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 machines.

Now, I created a new release for my app. But when doing so, I switched the app from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1 native. When the new release was published the other day it looks like existing installations of the app aren't updated to the new release. Even when I go to the store I don't see any "update"/"upgrade" option for the app. I just see that the app is already installed on the machine.

Of course, I could uninstall the app, but in this case, it is disastrous, because the user looses all existing data.

I understand that installations on Windows 8 don't get updated, but shouldn't update work for installations on Windows 8.1?

How can the user do an update in this situation?

Thanks,

Andreas

Saturday, January 25, 2014 12:28 PM

Answers

• Ok, after some delay and a reboot, the automatic update arrived. I am not sure whether the delay or the reboot or both did the trick, but the bottomline is: yes, the automatic update works even if an app switches between Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 from on release to the next.

• Marked as answer by amikk Saturday, January 25, 2014 12:32 PM
    Saturday, January 25, 2014 12:32 PM