none
Reportviewer & RDLC - Local report RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I have an asp.net web application, wherein I've created an RDLC file. There's an aspx web page which has a reportviewer control used to display the said report data. within this form there are certain parameter value's that are passed to fetch appropriate data from SQL.

What's happening is when I debug or run the application from VS it shows me the report and data appropriatly.However, when installed on the machine using an MSI or dirctly published, I can see the reportviewer control on the web page but there is no data displayed within the control

I am using IIS 7 on windows 7 OS

Saturday, April 10, 2010 8:47 AM

Answers

• Well nothing worked but when I deployed it onto a windows xp SP 2 machine . All went well, I guess its issue with Windows 7 \ IIS 7.5 \ IE 8 or any combination of them.
    • Marked as answer by Shah Bhavik Tuesday, April 20, 2010 6:31 AM
    Tuesday, April 20, 2010 6:31 AM

All replies

• Check this out http://www.sqldev.org/sql-server-reporting-services/problem-with-report-viewer--no-data-is-displayed-report-comes-out-as-empty-18726.shtml

but that didn't help either.

I am using IIS 7.5

IE 8

Windows 7 Pro.

.NET FW 3.5 SP 1

VS2008 - Web development

VS BIDS 2005 - Deploying reports.

Sunday, April 11, 2010 7:50 AM
  • Are you sure your ASP.NET application is getting data when deployed to IIS? When you run it in VS the development server, your user context is used to access the database, but when you run it in IIS, the default user context is the ApplicationPoolIdentity account (IIS APPPOOL\ApplicationPool). See this blog for more info. I'd check if your data source allows connections from that account.

Cephas Lin This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties.
    Monday, April 12, 2010 8:08 PM
  • Well I tried changing from the default ApplicationPookIdentity to NetworkService but neither that helped. How do I chech if my Datasource is getting the data?
    Tuesday, April 13, 2010 9:54 PM
  • Try outputting the data into a DataGrid or some other data control. If you can see your data there then it's worth debugging the viewer more.

Note: NetworkService has the same issue as ApplicationPoolIdentity. Neither is used by the Visual Studio development server when your report is working (it uses your own network user credentials).

Cephas Lin This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties.
    Wednesday, April 14, 2010 3:05 PM
  • Well nothing worked but when I deployed it onto a windows xp SP 2 machine . All went well, I guess its issue with Windows 7 \ IIS 7.5 \ IE 8 or any combination of them.
    • Marked as answer by Shah Bhavik Tuesday, April 20, 2010 6:31 AM
    Tuesday, April 20, 2010 6:31 AM
  • You might need to add something like this to the handlers section of system.webServer in your configuration file.  It worked for me

<add name="ReportViewerWebControl" path="Reserved.ReportViewerWebControl.axd" verb="*" type="Microsoft.Reporting.WebForms.HttpHandler, Microsoft.ReportViewer.WebForms, Version=9.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a"/>

Source - http://ddkonline.blogspot.com/2010/08/aspnet-reportviewer-not-rendering-in.html

Friday, September 17, 2010 4:31 PM