none
Error saving list items after adding an additional dependent lookup column. RRS feed

• Question

• Hey all...

I'm having a problem with SharePoint Workspace that is very easily reproduced.

I have a list, "Notes" with a lookup column to "Clients".

The ClientLookup column (pointing to Clients list) has the "FullName" column as the standard lookup column and "ID" as a dependent column.

The Notes list is easily sync'ed to SharePoint Workspace and works fine.

But, when I modify the Notes list ClientLookup column to add an additional dependent column called ClientCode (a standard string field) and attempt to add or edit an item in the Notes list, I get a "bad parameter" error.  If I then, deselect the dependent column "ClientCode" from the "ClientLookup" lookup column, the sync from SharePoint Workspace works fine.

Deleting the workspace and resync'ing it does not help.

Has anyone seem something similar to this? My SharePoint Server 2010 is running the April 2012 CU and has all fixes applied as well as the client workstation running SharePoint Workspace 2010.

Thursday, July 26, 2012 9:22 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Could you please tell me when did you get the error "bad paramdter"?

If is is in sharepoint site, check event viewer and uls log find more informtion about this issue.

I did the steps below, it worked well:

1. add a lookup column and a additional column to a list, sync to workspace

2. In sharepoint site, edit the lookup column, add another additional column, sync to workspace

after this, I can add new item in sharepoint site or worlkspace without error.

Xue-mei Chang

TechNet Community Support

Friday, July 27, 2012 9:11 AM
  • Ok…  Let me describe this better.

I have two lists.

The first is Clients.  The Clients list contains the following fields:

• ID (standard Sharepoint ID)
    • FirstName (string)
    • LastName (string)
    • FullName (calculated)
    • ClientID (a legacy ID for the client ie “3431C”)
    • Status (Active or Inactive dropdown).

The second list is “Item List”.

This list contains the following fields:

• Meeting Date (date time)
    • Meeting Summary (multiline text).
    • Client (lookup to the Clients list above).

The Client lookup column (a site column) has the “FullName” column set to be the primary lookup field for a client.

The Client ID column is a secondary,dependent lookup column for the Client Lookup column.

When I sync the Item List to SharePoint Workspace, I’m able to edit items in the Item List without a problem.  The lookup works fine.

Now here is where the problem occurs.

I go back to the Item List and edit the Client lookup column to add the “ClientID” column as an additional dependent lookup column.  So now, the Client lookup column has “ID” and “ClientID” setup as additional depenedent columns. 

Now, I open SharePoint Workspace and sync the Item List again and edit an Item in the Item List.  When I attempt to save the item changes, SharePoint Workspace displays the following error dialog with an OK button.

“SharePoint Workspace cannot submit the form.  An error occurred while the form was being submitted. 

An error occurred while the form was being submitted.  The parameter is incorrect.”

I don’t see any errors in the ULS logs (using ULSViewer).

If I return to the Item List and uncheck that dependent column, I can return to SharePoint Workspace, sync, edit the item and save without error in SharePoint Workspace…

An interesting note.  The Item List view, when I add the column “Client ID” to the lookup, add the Client: Client ID lookup column to the default display for the list.  In the SharePoint view of the list (standard SharePoint web app), the “Client ID” column appears immediately on the default view for the list.  After I sync SharePoint Workspace, the column appears in the SharePoint Workspace view for the item list, but it is not populated with the Client ID column values.  It is empty.

Thoughts?

Please note that I am using a series of SharePoint content types built from SharePoint site columns that are attached to the lists.  I didn’t want to get into that detail here.

Friday, July 27, 2012 2:34 PM
  • Xue-mei Chang?

Any additional input?  I added some additional detail below.

Best regards!

Tuesday, August 7, 2012 6:13 PM