Using Lightswitch to create a calendar with connection to Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Everyone,

Just started using/working on Lightswitch on Visual Studio 2013 and so far it's been great, but I ran into a little problem which I hope to get some help on.

Before I jump into it, I guess a little background of what I am trying to do would be helpful. I am trying to create a small application which is sort of like an event management calendar.

The first page or default screen should show a calendar for the whole year, where certain dates would be marked/highlighted in different colors depending on the category that has been entered using another screen which is to add details. For eg. on the Add event screen I could create someone birthday, on the main page page which is the calendar that date would be highlighted in a particular color. 

These events would be entered through another screen with connection to Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio to store the date. 

What I've managed to do so far is create the add details screen with a connection and display the results, my difficulty is creating the page that displays the calendar for a whole year and then the second part of highlighting certain dates based on its category.

I've looked and googled around and I see that ComponentOne is able to do it but I'm looking to do the entire thing myself from scratch. 

If someone could point me in the right direction or help me out here it would be very appreciated.

Best regards,

Andrew

Thursday, June 19, 2014 7:59 AM

Answers

• Andrew,

If you want todo it for yourself take a look howto in this link.

It has much more options then componentone ( all do i like there implemenation of html5 calendar) and it's free.

Cheers

Eric

• Marked as answer by Angie Xu Tuesday, July 8, 2014 2:41 AM
    Thursday, June 19, 2014 2:53 PM
  • I think beside the links i showed there is DHTMLX scheduler with a community [free] option else you have to write it yourself from scratch.

Eric

Sunday, June 29, 2014 7:03 PM

All replies

• Sorry guys one other piece of information I forgot to mention is that I'm looking to just create a very simple calendar. It should just have the header as the Year and then just the Month and Dates.

Some of the dates should be highlighted based on events that have been added. Only when I click on a highlighted date should another window pop up displaying the information of that event.

This is another part that I am stumped with that I would like to seek some guidance for.

Thursday, June 19, 2014 1:11 PM
  • Andrew,

If you want todo it for yourself take a look howto in this link.

It has much more options then componentone ( all do i like there implemenation of html5 calendar) and it's free.

Cheers

Eric

• Marked as answer by Angie Xu Tuesday, July 8, 2014 2:41 AM
    Thursday, June 19, 2014 2:53 PM
  • Hi Eric,

Thanks for responding, I took a look at the link and it looks pretty impressive. Somethings that immediately stand out is that this is for C# MVC? Will this work for Lightswitch?

The view looks fine, I would need to figure out how to do a yearly view instead of the ones provided.

This is dependent on the Plugin provided and framework though, any suggestions on writing the calendar from scratch via a function or some sort of table like those I see in HTML examples?

Preference would be to not be dependent on any plugin and writing the calendar from the beginning or rendering it via some function/code.

Friday, June 20, 2014 7:42 AM
  • I think beside the links i showed there is DHTMLX scheduler with a community [free] option else you have to write it yourself from scratch.

Eric

Sunday, June 29, 2014 7:03 PM

Eric

Hi Eric,

This looks good, with very detailed instructions on how to implement it and get it up and running. Looks suitable for my usage with some modifications. 

I'm not entirely sure how to integrate this for Lightswitch though, the steps are not for llightswitch but looks doable. Let me work on this for a bit.

Thanks for getting back to me.

Monday, June 30, 2014 6:21 AM