Project can't open in Visual studio 2008 RRS feed

• Question

• I and my friends both using Visual studio 2008. some days ago i send a project to my friends. But my friends can't open the project.  i just get this error:

"c:\filepath\project.vbproj' cannot be opened because it's project type (.vbproj) is not supported by this version of visual studio.
    To open it, please use a version that supports this type of project."

We check both about microsoft visual studio information. Both version number and information is same accept my studio say "Visual Studio Team system 2008" and my friends say "Visual Studio 2008".

How can my friends open my project.

Monday, October 15, 2012 10:31 AM

Answers

• Hi dralialadin,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

According to your description, it seems that the two versions of VS are different from you and your friends.

I assume your friend is used VS professional version. The features supported by VS team system and VS professional versoion (or express version) are different. So you need to make sure that your application doesn’t use the team system features.

I failed to find a table for compared with VS2008 versions, but here is some information about the Visual Studio Team System (2008) and Visual Studio (2008).

Apart from this, I’m just wondering whether your friend has installed the VB part in his VS. I will suggest you to check it at the same time.

Hope this helps.

Mark Liu-lxf [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Tuesday, October 16, 2012 3:12 AM
  • In addition to the useful suggestions Mark has given you, have your friend try to create a new VB project in his Visual Studio. If the new project cannot be created, do a repair install on Visual Studio.
    Wednesday, October 17, 2012 12:40 PM

All replies

• Hi dralialadin,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

According to your description, it seems that the two versions of VS are different from you and your friends.

I assume your friend is used VS professional version. The features supported by VS team system and VS professional versoion (or express version) are different. So you need to make sure that your application doesn’t use the team system features.

I failed to find a table for compared with VS2008 versions, but here is some information about the Visual Studio Team System (2008) and Visual Studio (2008).

Apart from this, I’m just wondering whether your friend has installed the VB part in his VS. I will suggest you to check it at the same time.

Hope this helps.

Mark Liu-lxf [MSFT]

Tuesday, October 16, 2012 3:12 AM
  • In addition to the useful suggestions Mark has given you, have your friend try to create a new VB project in his Visual Studio. If the new project cannot be created, do a repair install on Visual Studio.
    Wednesday, October 17, 2012 12:40 PM
  • Did you also try to open a project from your friend or do we talk about a oneway problem?

Liebe Grüße Stefan | Cheers Stefan I'm using VB 2008 and VB 2010 Express Be a good forum member - mark posts that contain the answers to your questions or those that are helpful. c# in vb Translator: http://www.developerfusion.com/tools/convert/csharp-to-vb/

Thursday, October 18, 2012 3:11 PM
  • Hi dralialadin,

We haven’t heard from you for several days. I’d like to mark the helpful replies as answers firstly. If you have any additional questions, you also can unmark the replay and post your question here.

Sorry for any inconvenience and have a nice day.

Mark Liu-lxf [MSFT]

Tuesday, October 23, 2012 8:28 AM