none
Kinect Camera Driver not installing properly RRS feed

• Question

• I’ve been working on developing a Kinect application using the Kinect SDK v1.5 on a computer using Windows 7 Ultimate x64. This machine has been able to connect to the Kinect without issue. I wanted to use my application on another machine using Windows 7 Ultimate x86. I installed the same SDK version, but when I plugged in the Kinect I was informed that the driver for the Kinect camera did not install correctly. All the other drivers (Kinect device, audio array control, and security control) all installed correctly. When I open device manager I can see an entry for the Kinect camera, but it disappears and reappears frequently. If I open its properties window I can see two alternating status messages; “Device is working properly” or “Currently this hardware is not connected to the computer (Code 45)”.

I’ve tried the following:

1. Uninstalled all the Kinect SDK software (Drivers, SDK, etc) and reinstalled twice
    2. Tried connecting the Kinect into all the USB ports (5) on the  machine
    3. Tried multiple power connections for the Kinect.
    4. I’ve definitely allowed the machine to restart after the SDK installation and then tried connecting the Kinect
    5. I’ve tried multiple Kinect sensors
    6. One of the Kinects that I tried was reconnected to the 64 bit machine and is functioning properly.

Important information:

1. I’m using Kinect Xbox sensors.
    2. I do not have Visual Studio 2010 installed on the x86 machine (which is having the issue), however I did install the .NET Framework 4 Redistributable
    3. The 32 bit machine is really meant to be a runtime machine; however, I installed the full SDK because the forums said the Kinect Runtime executable did not work properly with Xbox Kinect Sensors.
    4. I have 4 total USB Controllers
      1. 3 are: Intel ® 631xESB/631ESB/3100 Chipset USB Universal Host Controller
      2. And I have 1: Intel ® 631xESB/631ESB/3100 Chipset USB2 Universal Host Controller

Thanks so much for your help!

Tuesday, July 24, 2012 1:35 PM

Answers

• I finally solved the issue. I went ahead and purchased a Dynex (Best buy brand) 2-port USB 2.0 PCI Card and installed it in the machine and it seems to have corrected the problem. The driver is now installed and functioning properly. So the Intel ® 631xESB/631ESB/3100 Chipset USB2 Universal Host Controller that came on my Dell R5400 does not support the Kinect SDK drivers. Microsoft may want to verify and add that to the list of known USB Controllers with issues.

Thanks for your replies.

• Marked as answer by Ckmac6 Thursday, July 26, 2012 5:00 PM
    Thursday, July 26, 2012 5:00 PM

All replies

• hmmm have you used a Kinect on that machine before?

I looked Code 45 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310123

Code 45
    Currently, this hardware device is not connected to the computer. (Code 45)
    Recommended resolution

This
    error occurs if a device that was previously connected to the computer
    is no longer connected. To resolve this problem, reconnect this hardware
    device to the computer.

No resolution is necessary. This error
    code is only used to indicate the disconnected status of the device and
    does not require you to resolve it. The error code resolves
    automatically when you connect the associated device to the computer

The following information is for the advanced user.

If Device Manager is started with the environment variable
    <samp>DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES</samp>
    set to 1
    (which means show these devices), any previously attached (NONPRESENT)
    devices are displayed in the device list and assigned this error code.
    Tuesday, July 24, 2012 7:40 PM
  • No I have not used a Kinect on this 32 bit machine before, hence the problem.

While I am getting an intermitent Code 45 error in device manager the Kinect is staying constantly connected to the machine. I'm not constantly unplugging and replugging it into the USB. The device manager is getting intermitent disconnected status errors due to the device driver not installing properly.

Tuesday, July 24, 2012 8:31 PM
  • which host are you plugged into, and are there any other devices on that controller?
    Tuesday, July 24, 2012 10:36 PM
  • I've tried all the external USB ports on the machine itself (5 in total). A usb cable coming from the monitor hub (with mouse and keyboard attached) was moved around as well in order to accomodate the test and ensure the Kinect was connected to its own controller. Also, I tried connecting the Kinect directly into the Monitor's usb hub as well with no luck.
    Wednesday, July 25, 2012 2:05 PM
  • can you take a look (with Kinect attached) at Device Manager. Go to your USB host controller that it is connected to, right-click for properties, advanced and look at the bandwidth being used?
    Wednesday, July 25, 2012 8:30 PM
  • The Kinect Camera showed bandwidth on the Intel ® 631xESB/631ESB/3100 Chipset USB2 Universal Host Controller and it used 61% bandwidth, with 20% System Reserve. HID Mouse and Keyboard both were at 1%.
    Wednesday, July 25, 2012 10:12 PM
  • You've probably tried unplug/replug of the device, have you tried installing VS2010? It shouldn't matter but I am running out of ideas.
    Thursday, July 26, 2012 5:55 AM
  • I hope you not in this situation but at workplaces you need to be added as an admin locally. Heres a picture of the place to go to (right click computer->manage to get to this area):

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth. - "Sherlock holmes" "speak softly and carry a big stick" - theodore roosevelt. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering - Yoda. Blog - http://jefferycarlsonblog.blogspot.com/

Thursday, July 26, 2012 12:02 PM
  • I finally solved the issue. I went ahead and purchased a Dynex (Best buy brand) 2-port USB 2.0 PCI Card and installed it in the machine and it seems to have corrected the problem. The driver is now installed and functioning properly. So the Intel ® 631xESB/631ESB/3100 Chipset USB2 Universal Host Controller that came on my Dell R5400 does not support the Kinect SDK drivers. Microsoft may want to verify and add that to the list of known USB Controllers with issues.

Thanks for your replies.

• Marked as answer by Ckmac6 Thursday, July 26, 2012 5:00 PM
    Thursday, July 26, 2012 5:00 PM
  • thanks for the info, we are tracking this for debugging.
    Friday, July 27, 2012 3:28 AM
  • thanks for the info, we are tracking this for debugging.

Hi guys! same problem... i use windows 7 64x my motheboard is one asus P5G41T-M-LX2-BR

CHIPSET IS intel n19/ich7

in my notebook hp work perfect! 

help me.. my life .. my work of university final

Saturday, September 22, 2012 7:47 PM
  • can you describe the error you are getting? What does device manager say? Have you installed any other Kinect drivers on this machine (like OpenNi)?
    Saturday, September 22, 2012 9:26 PM
  • can you describe the error you are getting? What does device manager say? Have you installed any other Kinect drivers on this machine (like OpenNi)?

Print screen informations

the problem occurs in sdk 1.0 and 1.5,

already formatted my computer
    I disconnected all usb resources and left only the kinect
    the kinect works properly on notebook
    I have just installed the sdk and visual studio

The problem occurs with the problem of controller intel!
    can someone help me?

Tuesday, September 25, 2012 10:41 PM
  • I'm not quite sure what you are saying. You're getting Insufficient Bandwidth, which means you have other things using the USB host controller which explains why it works properly. Are you saying there is a different problem with an Intel controller?
    Thursday, September 27, 2012 5:47 PM
  • I'm not quite sure what you are saying. You're getting Insufficient Bandwidth, which means you have other things using the USB host controller which explains why it works properly. Are you saying there is a different problem with an Intel controller?
    Simply not install correctly the driver of kinect camera.
    when beginning the kinect sometimes works sometimes occurs the problem of bandwidth and only the kinect is connected to the USB.
      someone could help me with a solution to install on the motherboard that use ... I need a driver solution, it showed that the kinect has incompatibilities with this board and this usb controller

thank you
    Thursday, September 27, 2012 10:26 PM