locked
Users sign in and they are me. RRS feed

  • Question

  • It's not as sci-fi as what the subject says. But I have had three issues today that when they (using their user/pass) log into our sharepoint 2010 foundation server, the user on the top right displays my name.

    When I have them look at the top right to click their name and then My Settings, the name switches to theirs but the profile info is all mine. To make this more complicated, they are logging into Sharepoint on computers I've never logged into the site with.

    Ideas on how to fix this? I'm worried I'll have to bring the whole site down or worse, use a backup or rebuild.

    Thanks

    Tuesday, April 26, 2011 9:28 PM

Answers

  • I found the flippin problem.It had nothing to do with AD or Sharepoint. From IIS7 to the website (Sharepoint - 80) and on the right hand side their is an option called "Basic Settings". From here their is an option of Connect As. From Connect As, you can select the user to connect as or as 'Application User - pass-through authentication' . My account was selected instead of the Application User option. Once I changed it to Application User, the Sharepoint Authentication started to work fine (knock on wood).

     

    Thanks for the help and suggestions all!

    • Marked as answer by Jmair Wednesday, April 27, 2011 6:25 PM
    Wednesday, April 27, 2011 6:25 PM

All replies

  • Are they by any chance using the "Log in as another user" feature, or logging in/out of Sharepoint without logging in/out of the workstation itself?  I have experienced the problem you're having under those circumstances.
    David Caudill IT Manager
    Tuesday, April 26, 2011 11:21 PM
  • Are they by any chance using the "Log in as another user" feature, or logging in/out of Sharepoint without logging in/out of the workstation itself?  I have experienced the problem you're having under those circumstances.
    David Caudill IT Manager

    They aren't doing anything unique. They log as themselves with their user/pass and once they do it shows my username with what looks like all of my admin rights.  I'm now at home, I logged into the site with our test student account and it shows my username and I'm able to edit the front page. scary.
    Tuesday, April 26, 2011 11:36 PM
  • is it going via a proxy with caching turned on?
    Regards, Chris
    Tuesday, April 26, 2011 11:38 PM
  • Try these:

    1. Check both the Domain Administrator group and Sharepoint Groups. Something must be mixed on the Members Group or the Owner Group. Check if authenticated users is on any of these groups. If they are, anyone can change the site.

    2. Check the Farm admins of the site

    3. Try using another browser. Could it be a configuration on the browser?

    Seems to me Sharepoint is reading somewhere that all users are owners or members. Try to make a "dummy" user in active directory only as domain user and try again.

    Let me know how it goes.

    Wednesday, April 27, 2011 12:46 AM
  • Thank you for the reply's guys.

    I added google chrome to my machine and signed into the sharepoint using a new domain user account. The connection was with our proxy and web cache offline (completely out of the loop actually.) I even plugged my computer to our DMZ so I would be accessing the site from outside our network. When I logged in as 'chester tester', the account switched over as mine again. I'm at a loss.

    I've removed all of the permissions for team site owners and tried it again. Same deal. Any other suggestions are welcome. It's only a matter of time until a student starts vandalizing the site with my account.

     

     

    Wednesday, April 27, 2011 4:21 PM
  • Have you tried creating a new administrator account, and deleting your own account?  It's possible that the culprit is your account.  I have never seen this happen, but if upon deleting your own account the other student accounts disappear, then the accounts had been somehow linked together.
    Professional SharePoint 2010 Designs - ShareDesigned
    Wednesday, April 27, 2011 4:49 PM
  • I found the flippin problem.It had nothing to do with AD or Sharepoint. From IIS7 to the website (Sharepoint - 80) and on the right hand side their is an option called "Basic Settings". From here their is an option of Connect As. From Connect As, you can select the user to connect as or as 'Application User - pass-through authentication' . My account was selected instead of the Application User option. Once I changed it to Application User, the Sharepoint Authentication started to work fine (knock on wood).

     

    Thanks for the help and suggestions all!

    • Marked as answer by Jmair Wednesday, April 27, 2011 6:25 PM
    Wednesday, April 27, 2011 6:25 PM