none
MDS 2016 CU4: Web Interface - unable to access to users and groups security parameters RRS feed

• Question

• Since the application of the MDS 2016 CU4, Im unable to access to security parameters (function, models, hierarchies,...). The web application  is not responding.

Any solution.

Tuesday, August 22, 2017 8:47 AM

Answers

• I can confirm, that it does not work.

By doing it this way you get to the first screen with the General tab active. When you try to shift tab to Membership, Functions or Members, then you have the time out issue again.

As somebody described earlier there is a workaround that will give you the ability to see the tabs you want and to make changes.
    Go to the front page and refresh cached information, then go to the security groups page, and instead of the pencil icon use the direct way on the specific group you want to edit and go directly to the tab you want to have access to.

If you want to see another tab, then again, back to front page, refresh cache, back to group page, direct way to tab.

Bo

• Edited by bolaugo Friday, September 8, 2017 6:12 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Julia Hunt Friday, November 3, 2017 2:02 PM
    • Marked as answer by Av111Editor Monday, March 26, 2018 8:02 PM
    Friday, September 8, 2017 6:08 AM

All replies

• I have the same Problem after Installing CU4 . i appreciate any help/solution

Christoph

Thursday, August 24, 2017 5:23 PM
  • update: i can access security (functions,models...) of a single user but NOT of a group!
    Thursday, August 24, 2017 5:41 PM
  • We are having the same problem, and this is keeping us from updating our production environment from MDS 2012 to MDS 2016. Any updates on this?
    Wednesday, August 30, 2017 11:30 AM
  • I managed to figure a way to get past this problem. Model permission management works for the first time, but not with another try. The problem seems to be with cached information. It will work if you go to main page and reset cached information before another attempt. Seems obvious bug, please fix it in the next CU.
    Thursday, August 31, 2017 9:25 AM
  • @Smartysanthosh applied the stored proc but same behaviour :

the Log file has several entries like :

08/24/2017 19:30:35,00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000,Unknown,Verbose,"Unable to convert value of query string parameter Id = VID to an integer"
    08/24/2017 19:30:41,0adc573d-6580-4722-a120-cc79f593603c,/MDS/security/Groups/SecurityGroupsList.aspx,Verbose,"Unable to convert value of query string parameter Id = MID to an integer"

maybe this helps. I can send a complete log file with verbose logging if you provide me an email address. Or I can open a ticket at connect.microsoft.com and attach the log file ?

Christoph 

Tuesday, September 5, 2017 12:43 PM
  • Hi @Christoph,

http://sqlblog.com/blogs/mds_team/archive/2017/09/05/sql-server-2016-sp1-cu4-regression-error-while-applying-permission-on-entity-level-quick-workaround.aspx

hope you updated the stored procedure, please send the log to this email id sqlmdsfeedback@microsoft.com

I will look into this issue .

thanks,

sunny

Wednesday, September 6, 2017 7:38 AM
  • Hi sunny,

yes, i have updated the stored procedure you had previously put on OneDrive. The link above has no attachment..

I have mailed the log file.

Christoph

Wednesday, September 6, 2017 4:38 PM
  • The link for the sproc on sqlblog.com is not working.  Where can I get a copy of it to resolve the same issue others have reported?

Thanks,

James

Wednesday, September 6, 2017 5:33 PM
  • Hi

Any news on this issue?

I have also applied the stored procedure, but it did not solve the problem.

Only an issue for group security, but that is also where you would like to handle the security settings, so a solution is very much needed.

Bo

Thursday, September 7, 2017 1:04 PM
  • I had a call with Couple of them last night and understood that you guys facing problem in group security page , the fix I gave was for User security page  and they confirmed my SP workaround fix is working for them.

Ok now lets come back to group security page , I started look into this problem and observed there is a problem happening in the underlying threads ( and its getting struck there and eventually going for a timeout ) I am debugging more to understand root cause , mean while can someone quickly check this and let me know , whether this works or not so that I can assume you guys are not blocked ?

I am sure most of them when they demo to me are using this control on the group page to navigate to the model page ,

rather than doing this way , we also provided a button on the top as shown below screenshot , just click on the group you would like to edit permissions and then this control will turn from grey to visible and by clicking it will take you to the edit page where you can navigate to the model page and do your add/update of permissions ( again you need my modified sp to be applied first , assuming you already did that ) . it should work , let me know if it is still not working . 

note: this is temporary workaround only , I will work for a permanent fix

-sunny

Friday, September 8, 2017 2:22 AM
  • I can confirm, that it does not work.

By doing it this way you get to the first screen with the General tab active. When you try to shift tab to Membership, Functions or Members, then you have the time out issue again.

As somebody described earlier there is a workaround that will give you the ability to see the tabs you want and to make changes.
    Go to the front page and refresh cached information, then go to the security groups page, and instead of the pencil icon use the direct way on the specific group you want to edit and go directly to the tab you want to have access to.

If you want to see another tab, then again, back to front page, refresh cache, back to group page, direct way to tab.

Bo

• Edited by bolaugo Friday, September 8, 2017 6:12 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Julia Hunt Friday, November 3, 2017 2:02 PM
    • Marked as answer by Av111Editor Monday, March 26, 2018 8:02 PM
    Friday, September 8, 2017 6:08 AM
  • ok thanks Bolaugo, understood the workaround . I think I got to the root cause and see whether I can use 2016 SP2 CTP release to catch this so that It can be out before 2016 SP2 RTM release . lets see what can I do best to roll this fix at the earliest .
    Friday, September 8, 2017 8:15 AM
  • I can confirm that the workaround use the "Refresh cached information" (as Bolaugo indicated above) to get around the current issue with the Group Security timing out does indeed work.
    Wednesday, September 13, 2017 10:24 PM
  • Try applying the SQL SERVER 2016 SP1 CU5. Did not solve the problem.

I don't understand how such an issue can't be solved from one CU to another. I Needed to roll back to CU3

Wednesday, September 27, 2017 2:46 PM
  • Thanks for this workaround Bo -- worked like a charm.

--Julia

Friday, November 3, 2017 2:06 PM
  • Hi, 
    Just installed a fresh SQL Server 2016 SP1 CU 5 and still facing this issue. Very annoying!

Does anyone know if there is a permanent fix coming soon?

Tuesday, December 5, 2017 1:14 PM
  • we had issues with delays while loading some administration pages after upgrade to 2016 sp1 cu5.

after rebuilding all of indexes on MDS database (many of them had huge fragmentation) pages came to life.

Wednesday, December 27, 2017 2:59 PM
  • I've found the root cause of the issue with group security pages ( https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/5473f312-055a-41c0-bec7-4861365454e4/mds-sql-2016-cant-edit-permissions-for-selected-group-in-manage-groups ), as a workaround I kill MDS worker process, it works for a development environment, hopefully, the bug will be fixed before our go live. 
    MDS web app has some potential for race condition issues because of the way it handles some parts of page state - static dictionary which is shared across all sessions, so it possible that user1 opens a page to edit group1, another user2 opens a page to edit group2 at the same time and both user1 and user2 will see page rendered with the same data e.g. group2

Is there a good place to submit issues/suggestions for MDS? MS Connect for SQL Server? I'm finding some thing that might be worth sharing, like [mdm].[udpEntityMembersUpdate] doesn't do a good job using indexes when updates members, a simple refactoring saves 2.5-3 seconds on 7500 attributes update batch on L16 VM.
    Wednesday, January 3, 2018 6:26 PM
  • This issue appears to still be present in SQL Server 2017 - has no progress been made towards a permanent solution?
    Friday, April 20, 2018 9:53 AM
  • I'm using SQL 2017 and none of these work arounds are working for me. Is this ridiculous or what?
    Wednesday, April 3, 2019 3:08 PM
  • Using SQL Server 2017, AND still a problem.  Are there any published T-SQL commands we can use to bypass the web interface?
    Wednesday, May 1, 2019 9:13 PM