OOB 3 Tier App Icon... RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

next problem: it seems that LS uses the Applicationsymbol which is a .png file as the icon for the shortcuts but this is a problem on win7 desktop because the 32x32 is to small:

how to change this so that i can a .ico file with 16/32/48/128?

Friday, November 30, 2012 6:46 PM

Answers

• After the 32x32 png file is added, you'll see the file in Solution Explorer if you change to File View.  The file is added to a new folder called Resources under the Client folder.  You will also see a file called OutOfBrowserSettings.xml, where an entry has been added for the icon:

You can then right click on the Resources folder and choose Add >> Existing Item and add your 16x16, 48x48 and 128x128 .png files.  Select them all in the Solution Explorer and change their "Build Action" property to "Content".   Then add corresponding entries to the Client\OutOfBrowserSettings.xml file.

David Kidder | Senior SDET | Microsoft | LightSwitch

Monday, December 3, 2012 3:32 AM

All replies

• Hi

In lightswitch By default there is no way to change the application icon file size. You have stay with pre-defined size i.e 32 x 32 (.png).

Regards

Rashmi Ranjan Panigrahi
    www.lightswitchspecial.com

If you found this post helpful, please “Vote as Helpful”. If it answered your question, please “Mark as Answer”.
    This will help other users to find their answer quickly.

Saturday, December 1, 2012 3:59 AM
  • perfect - another limitation and this is very unprofessional - the icon looks very bad...

Saturday, December 1, 2012 8:24 AM
  • The option actually exists for a Silverlight application, it just seems that LightSwitch doesn't expose a way to set it. I've tried setting it manually, but publishing the application overrides the setting.

If you feel strongly about it, you can always submit a suggestion, but with all the HTML client work that's currently going on, plus bug fixes, I can't see it being a huge priority (unless a large number of people were to vote for it).

I don't expect that the solution will be all that complicated, as I said, the mechanism already exists, it's just a matter of priorities.

Yann - LightSwitch Central - Click here for FREE Themes, Controls, Types and Commands

Please click "Mark as Answer" if a reply answers your question. Please click "Vote as Helpful" , if you find a reply helpful.

By doing this you'll help others to find answers faster.

Saturday, December 1, 2012 1:09 PM
  • Hello Yann,

At a very personal and emotional point of view I cannot understand why I have to submit a suggestion for a functionality which should be standard for every windows/web application...

M$ ist the biggest software company in the world - ok the LS Team had made a good job - but in the point of view that MS is so big - i have to say that for V2 all the hype about LS is not justified...

as you can see in my latest posts there are a lot of problems which shouldn't be there in a product in version 2 - I'm develop application since 15 years and I have the impression that MS always stop at a point where it be come interesting - instead of making things better (faster, more functionality), they begin to change something and go another way...

and what's going on with windows 8 and RT and the coming strategy - it is mysterious (XHTML, HTML5, Silverlight, COM, WPF, Winforms...)
    don't get me wrong but I have not appreciation/submissiveness for MS and say the have a hard job - from the point of view of every employee this might be right - but as a company that decided to bring a new technology out, they have to ensure that there are enough resources to solve problems and bring out only versions that support basic functionalities...

robert

• Edited by Mad Rian Saturday, December 1, 2012 2:13 PM
    Saturday, December 1, 2012 2:13 PM
  • I'm still using LS 2011, so I cant really comment on the problems that you're having from personal experience.

I wasn't saying that you weren't justified in wanting the functionality that you mention, simply that it currently doesn't exist in the product that's available today. The way to change that is to submit suggestions, so that the team know what people feel is important. It's a way of getting the issue into a backlog of new features, that can then be prioritised, & the most requested ones acted on. Just mentioning it in a forum is not always enough, unless many people are bringing it up, over & over & over.

I'd love to see a "perfect product", but as you know software doesn't become perfect overnight, if it ever gets there. The team do listen, but they can't implement every single thing that people say they want in the product (including features that I'd personally like to see, lol), or it would just never get released. It's all a matter of priorities (unfortunately). I'm sure you'd rather see attention put on improving performance, for example, over something like an icon. Nicht wahr?

Yann - LightSwitch Central - Click here for FREE Themes, Controls, Types and Commands

Please click "Mark as Answer" if a reply answers your question. Please click "Vote as Helpful" , if you find a reply helpful.

Saturday, December 1, 2012 2:37 PM
  • Sorry Yann - but that's not the point!

MS is not a company which is new to software development - what we are discussing are functionality which are standard - 10 years ago we had some things with VB6 which are not existing now!

I cannot understand why MS always begins at the roots not sit up on experiences and functionality which were present years ago and make a step further to make things better...

robert

PS: du wohnst in Australien und sprichst deutsch?

Saturday, December 1, 2012 3:20 PM
  • My point is not to argue with you, but to try to help you get what you need, by giving you the procedure you need to follow.

Ich wohne in Melbourne, und spreche nur ein bisschen Deutsch.

Sunday, December 2, 2012 1:02 PM
  • Hello Yann,

for sure - i always don't want to argue and I thank all people in the forum for there help...
    but the position of MS makes me angry because for me I have the feeling that they let sometimes us alone with our problems and the whole strategy is not clear

what is the future of LS - is it HTML5 or Silverlight or what?

what is with Winforms/WPF/RT?

in another project we have to decide to upgrade our VB6 CRM to a new technologie (for the next 10 years) but it is not clear where MS will go (Winforms/WPF/RT/HTML5/Silverlight)

robert

Sunday, December 2, 2012 1:10 PM
  • After the 32x32 png file is added, you'll see the file in Solution Explorer if you change to File View.  The file is added to a new folder called Resources under the Client folder.  You will also see a file called OutOfBrowserSettings.xml, where an entry has been added for the icon:

You can then right click on the Resources folder and choose Add >> Existing Item and add your 16x16, 48x48 and 128x128 .png files.  Select them all in the Solution Explorer and change their "Build Action" property to "Content".   Then add corresponding entries to the Client\OutOfBrowserSettings.xml file.

David Kidder | Senior SDET | Microsoft | LightSwitch

Monday, December 3, 2012 3:32 AM
  • Hi David

Thank you for this trick.

Regards

Rashmi Ranjan Panigrahi
    www.lightswitchspecial.com

If you found this post helpful, please “Vote as Helpful”. If it answered your question, please “Mark as Answer”.
    This will help other users to find their answer quickly.

Monday, December 3, 2012 4:06 AM
  • @Dave - This is the option I was talking about.

It doesn't work in V1 (the OutOfBrowserSettings section gets overwritten with a single entry), so I assume that you're saying that this has now been fixed in V2 then?

Monday, December 3, 2012 5:15 AM