How to get the Base address of USB parrallel port RRS feed

• Question

• I am using USB parallel port for which I am able to detect ion the device manager. In order to access the device i need the base address of the USB parallel port.Let me know how to get the base address??
    Tuesday, May 3, 2011 8:28 AM

All replies

• What kind of port is that ? USB == Universal Serial Bus. Did you mean USB->Parallel adapter ? You'll have to work with USB as long as you're connecting it through USB to your computer. You should check its manual first.

Are you trying something like these >

http://logix4u.net/Legacy_Ports/Parallel_Port/How_to_read_Parallel_Serial_Port_address_from_BIOS.html

http://www.radiosky.com/skypipehelp/V2/parallel_port_configuration.html

?

Thanks

Social lounge for MSDN forum users :-)
    Living on Earth may be expensive, but did you know that it includes a free trip around the sun? Isn't that worth it?
    Tuesday, May 3, 2011 8:40 AM
  • USB devices do not have a base address.  The USB device driver creates a "virtual" (software) device that simulates hardware, but does not use the PC bus I/O port address space.

If you are trying to use a USB device for parallel IO, such as you might do with a built-in printer port -- you have to use a USB device built specifically for this purpose.  You cannot, for example, use a USB printer adapter.

For what purpose do you want to use the USB device?  I may be able to offer some suggestions.

Dick

Dick Grier. Author of Visual Basic Programmer's Guide to Serial Communications 4. See www.hardandsoftware.net.
    Tuesday, May 3, 2011 3:39 PM
  • Hello Appasaheb,

What about this problem on your side now? Would you mind letting us know the result of the suggestions? If you have any concerns, please feel free to follow up.

Have a nice day.

Best regards

Liliane Teng [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Tuesday, May 10, 2011 8:25 AM
  • Hi,

I have the same problem.

I need to control a simple mechanical device (not a printer or modem) through its control port, which is a parallel port.

However, my PC is not equipped with parallel ports.

I have a usb-parallel adapter.

Any suggestions on hot to send the required control byte to the parallel port through the usb?

Thank you

A.

Saturday, October 15, 2011 8:37 AM