error while running my app: This app does not support the contract specified or is not installed.

Question

• Hi, I have my app building and running fine on VS 2013 Update 2, I recently had to move to the latest update 4, and while the compilation of the code went through without any issues, when I tried running the app, I got this dialog indicating that I can't run.

Unable to activate Windows Store app
    "{my app name}"
    The activation request failed with error 'This app does not spport the contract specified or is not installed'.

See help for advice on troubleshooting the issue

anyone come across this issue?

Regards, Rv.

Thursday, November 13, 2014 7:38 PM

Answers

• I did not change anything, cleaned up my code completely and opened with VS update 4, and compiled, while compilation was fine, it would fail with the above error.

James, the link you posted doesn't exist.

Another thing that I tried was I created a new VM, and tried with a fresh installation of VS with update 4 (rather than just patching VS update 2 to update 4 as in previous case) and in that scenario it worked fine, without any issues.

I have seen multiple people complain regarding such cases, where in the update patch fails a lot of things and end up wasting quite a bit of time trying to figure out the issue.

So I uninstalled VS on my previous system (the one where I had issues) and installed VS 2013 with update 4 fully, and that seemed to resolve the issue of the error dialog, however my app kept excepting in lot of places which wasn't the case with the fresh installation.

I would still like to know why just updating with the update package fails generally and have such flaws.

Regards, Rv.

Saturday, November 15, 2014 1:01 AM

All replies

• Hi Ravindra,

Your issue is out of support range of VS General Question forum which mainly discusses the usage issue of Visual Studio IDE such as WPF & SL designer, Visual Studio Guidance Automation Toolkit, Developer Documentation and Help System and Visual Studio Editor.

Because your have issues when running windows store app, I moved this thread to Building Windows Store apps with C# or VB forum. Experts there will provide you better support.

Thanks,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, November 14, 2014 5:08 AM
  • Hi Ravindra,

Did you change the app name after deploy to the device?

The questions sounds like a device issue, could you please test other app to see they have the same situation. Besides I found something might useful: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-performance/apps-wont-open-or-run-in-administrator-account/11071e14-ce60-4d55-b2d6-2817d8dfa953, by applying some PowerShell commands we can cover the privilege issue.

--James

<THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Friday, November 14, 2014 8:04 AM
  • I did not change anything, cleaned up my code completely and opened with VS update 4, and compiled, while compilation was fine, it would fail with the above error.

James, the link you posted doesn't exist.

Another thing that I tried was I created a new VM, and tried with a fresh installation of VS with update 4 (rather than just patching VS update 2 to update 4 as in previous case) and in that scenario it worked fine, without any issues.

I have seen multiple people complain regarding such cases, where in the update patch fails a lot of things and end up wasting quite a bit of time trying to figure out the issue.

So I uninstalled VS on my previous system (the one where I had issues) and installed VS 2013 with update 4 fully, and that seemed to resolve the issue of the error dialog, however my app kept excepting in lot of places which wasn't the case with the fresh installation.

I would still like to know why just updating with the update package fails generally and have such flaws.

Regards, Rv.

Saturday, November 15, 2014 1:01 AM
  • Hi Jamles,

Firstly the link that you provided is not working. Can you please check on this? Secondly, I just installed VS with update 4 and started a new project was just testing it whether everything is working fine or not. But I am getting the same error!

Thanks.

Regards,

Vaibhav V. Gupta

Saturday, November 15, 2014 6:38 PM
  • Vaibhav, did you install complete VS with update 4 or was it an update from a previous VS installation?

Regards, Rv.

Monday, November 17, 2014 11:35 AM