none
Smart Device, SDK and supported platform RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm using VS2008 with an SDK for a custom device developed here. We generated the SDK a while ago with platform builder and everything was working great. The SDK created the platform for VS2008 and I could create new application based on this platform using the SDK.

We updated the SDK recently so I uninstalled the old one and installed the new one. Since then, I can't use this platform anymore. The SDK appears in the dialog when I create a new application based on that SDK but I can't open the project. It tells me :

"The project consists entirely of configurations that require support for platforms which are not installed on this machine. The project cannot be loaded."

I did uninstall / install the SDK a few times and also tried to come back to the old one and I always get the same result.

Any idea?

Thanks

• Moved by Jesse Jiang Monday, March 19, 2012 3:11 AM (From:Visual Studio Smart Device Development - Native C++ Project)
    Friday, March 16, 2012 3:36 PM

Answers

• Unfortunately, I have not found the cause of the problem...

Reinstalling visual studio and the SDK fixed the problem.

• Marked as answer by David Mercier Tuesday, March 20, 2012 1:04 PM
    Monday, March 19, 2012 8:12 PM

All replies

• Hi David,

I think your issue should be raised in the Windows Embedded Compact Platform Development. I believe they will know more information of this issue than us, and I will move this one to that forum.

Thanks for your understanding,

Best regards,
    Jesse

Jesse Jiang [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Monday, March 19, 2012 3:10 AM
  • This type of issue occurs generally when :

1. The Old SDK is not uninstalled properly.

2. There is difference while creating the two SDK's while you have an application for 1st SDK trying to use the 2nd SDK.

3. After installing the SDK try restarting the system.

4. See if the earlier SDK is unstalled completely and you dont have the old entries under program files dir and registry.

hope this will help.

--- Misbah

Senior Design Engineer T.E.S Electroni Solutions (Bangalore-India) www.tes-dst.com email-misbah.khan@tes-dst.com

• Proposed as answer by CJ Haze Tuesday, March 20, 2012 11:14 AM
    Monday, March 19, 2012 5:36 AM
  • Open your workspace (.csproj) file in notepad and change the SDK name to whatever you named it (look for the <NativePlatformName> tag). You probably changed the name of the SDK slightly when reconfiguring the SDK in PB.

Good luck,

Michel Verhagen, eMVP
    Check out my blog: http://guruce.com/blog

GuruCE
    Microsoft Embedded Partner
    http://guruce.com
    Consultancy, training and development services.

Monday, March 19, 2012 11:49 AM
  • Unfortunately, I have not found the cause of the problem...

Reinstalling visual studio and the SDK fixed the problem.

• Marked as answer by David Mercier Tuesday, March 20, 2012 1:04 PM
    Monday, March 19, 2012 8:12 PM
  • I've got a requirement linked to this, that may sound slightly weird.

Anyway, if I need to rebuild an application built for a WinCE SDK; to make it work on a regular Windows (XP, Win7) PC, what changes do I need to make? What would be the steps to build the same application as a generic windows application?

~ Thanks!

• Edited by CJ Haze Tuesday, March 20, 2012 12:06 PM
    Tuesday, March 20, 2012 11:19 AM
  • Hi,

We do it for all our projects. It can be easily done using the following procedure:

1. In VS2008 "Build" menu, select "Configuration Manager"

2. Under "Active solution platform" dropbox, select "New"

3. In the "Type or select the new platform", select the platform you want to support. "Win32" is the one you need. You can copy the settings from another platform but I personaly prefer to start from scratch.

After that, you'll have both platform available. Just compile the one you need.

Some changes will be needed in the project properties related to the new platform supported, but it is usually minor changes.

I hope it helps!

Tuesday, March 20, 2012 1:10 PM