Delete - Submit - Insert -> Cannot add an entity that already exists

Question

• HI,

Why does the following fail with 'Cannot add an entity that already exists' ?

Code Snippet

User u = User[0];

db.Users.DeleteOnSubmit(users[0]);

db.SubmitChanges();

db.Users.InsertOnSubmit(u);

Examining the database after the SubmitChanges confirms that the user has in fact been deleted, so why can't I add the user back?

--

Dan

Wednesday, July 02, 2008 3:42 PM

Answers

• The DataContext remembers the objects even after they are deleted. They are considered 'dead' objects and cannot be used again.  You can, however, create a new object instance with the same info and use that.

Wednesday, July 02, 2008 5:01 PM

All replies

• The DataContext remembers the objects even after they are deleted. They are considered 'dead' objects and cannot be used again.  You can, however, create a new object instance with the same info and use that.

Wednesday, July 02, 2008 5:01 PM
  •  Matt Warren - MSFT wrote:

The DataContext remembers the objects even after they are deleted. They are considered 'dead' objects and cannot be used again.  You can, however, create a new object instance with the same info and use that.

Out of interest, why are they still referenced, and how are they ever collected by the GC ?

--

Dan

Wednesday, July 02, 2008 8:06 PM
  •  Matt Warren - MSFT wrote:

The DataContext remembers the objects even after they are deleted. They are considered 'dead' objects and cannot be used again.  You can, however, create a new object instance with the same info and use that.

So, yep, you're right they hang around forever, and can't be collected, so it's trivial to write a program that runs out of memory :-(

Doesn't seem right to me, why is it hanging onto them, they've been deleted ....

Code Snippet

[TestMethod]

public void TestLinqSQL()

{

DataClasses1DataContext db = new DataClasses1DataContext();

var q = from p in db.Users where p.Name == "Dan" select p;

for (int i = 0; i < 1000000; i++)

{

if (q.Count() == 0)

{

for (int j = 0; j < 100000; j++)

{