none
Birdseye view hangs for a while on initial load in winforms webbrowser RRS feed

• Question

• In a winforms app, I am loading the Bing map control into a webbrowser control.  The map is loaded in Road view, after which I move to an area that I know has birdseye and zoom in so that it becomes available for selection in the dashboard.  When I switch to birdseye, the map shows the correct imagery but then the UI thread is locked for a good 20 seconds before the map control becomes interactive again for scrolling around, closing birdseye etc.  This seems to occur only on the first switch to birdseye in a given area, subsequently switching back to it is quick, the map control is immediately responsive to further actions.  If I move to a different city and then switch to birdseye, the 20-second hang is repeated once again, after which, in that same area, the hang does not occur.

I have attached Fiddler to see if extra web calls are going out on initial switch to birdseye, but don't see anything.  Has anybody else experienced this in a similar scenario?  Is the extra time initially necessary to fetch the imagery from a given area? Is there anything that can be done to mitigate this, to tell it to not 'pre-fetch' whatever it is getting?

Any hints/guidelines regarding responsiveness on the map control would be extremely helpful and appreciated.

Thursday, July 19, 2018 9:26 PM

All replies

• Hi StudentNumber9,

Can you reproduce the issue with the Interactive SDK or is it just in your winforms app?  See https://www.bing.com/api/maps/sdkrelease/mapcontrol/isdk/birdseyev2

Does your code look similar to what is in the SDK?

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Friday, July 20, 2018 4:06 PM
    Owner
  • Hi IoTGirl,

Birdseye view when the map control is hosted in a website works without any issues, as soon as one goes into birdseye, the map is scrollable etc.

The UI freeze occurs when using birdseye with the map control hosted in the winforms webbrowser.  I have a bit more information about this.  The initial UI freeze of a good 20 seconds occurs without fail on first switch to birdseye in a new area.  After 20 seconds, the UI thread is back, one can scroll the map around, close birdseye etc.  I thought that was the extent of the hang in birdseye view, but I noticed that if you scroll around enough, after a few swipes, the map control will hang again for a few seconds as it fetches new birdseye imagery.  I guess this is similar to moving to a completely different area and switching to birdseye, where it will hang for another 20 seconds while fetching images.

A bit of a flaky observation is that if I don't provide our valid credentials, the map of course shows the "invalid credentials" graphic in the middle of the map, but when I switch to birdseye, the silly thing does NOT freeze, and the map is immediately scrollable!

I wish I could peer into the guts of all this to make some sense of what I observe, I can prepare a simple winforms sample app to show this behavior.  I can't release our key but perhaps you can use one you have to test the sample.

I truly appreciate your response to this.

Friday, July 20, 2018 11:18 PM
  • Hi StudentNumber9,

Not all WebView controls are created equal as well.  Have you tried alternative controls to host the weblink?  Can you point me to the sample you started with maybe? 

https://www.bing.com/search?q=Webview+control+Xamarin&form=IENTHT&mkt=en-us&httpsmsn=1&refig=82b97e38e7ac441e90daa8504a9a0753&sp=-1&pq=webview+control+xamarin&sc=2-23&qs=n&sk=&cvid=82b97e38e7ac441e90daa8504a9a0753

I have worked with some folks from Xamarin and may be able to get them to take a look if I can get a repro.  Do other UI intensive jobs besides maps show the same issue?

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Sunday, July 22, 2018 2:39 AM
    Owner