How Can I Handle License in my Silverlight Application RRS feed

• Question

• I want To Handle A product key Serial Number, First run (Only one Instance of Application running), And Max Number of Users

Thursday, October 7, 2010 5:30 AM

Answers

• Hi Ahmed ,

about second issue how to set the max number of user first you need to get it ... !! There is no way to get a list of online user using the membership API.  You will need to create a domain service that goes against membership data, and pulls the list you want.  You can use the logic in stored procedure 'aspnet_Membership_GetNumberOfUsersOnline' so you can get user count and control max number of users .

About first issue License your SL App unfortunately you can't get MAC Address coz of silverlight is Client APP you can use Computer name

public string GetMachineName()
            {
                return HttpContext.Current.Server.MachineName;
            }

but i don't recommend you to identify a client based on computer name instead of login user 2 Computers can be named with the same name as long as they are not within the same network. So I don't recommend  use Computer name to identify a client. If you do not want to identify a client by login, you can use computer's IP address which is still a better identification than the computer name

string CustomerIP = HttpContext.Current.Request.ServerVariables["REMOTE_ADDR"];

Hope that help

Best regards,

Yasser

Friday, October 8, 2010 10:25 AM
  • Hello kobruleht ,

you must type your function at server Side not client Side which mean Web application instead of SL Application

string ComputerName = System.IO.Path.GetDirectoryName(HttpContext.Current.Request.ServerVariables["REMOTE_USER"]);

string ComputerName = HttpContext.Current.Server.MachineName;

you can  get Computer name back to SL app using Function that exists in service

Hope that help

best regards

yasser

Friday, October 8, 2010 6:20 PM

All replies

• because Sivlerlight is client technology, you should try and do no validation in silverlight and instead pass off all validation to a web service.

That way you can keep any encryption keys private.

As for running one instance it would have to be run in OutOfBrowser mode and even then I am not sure how easy to it would be to trap additional instances, you would have to use the windows API calls.

Thursday, October 7, 2010 6:31 AM
  • First Thanks for ur care

Second Can U Explain it with an Example or Tell Me Which words i can Search Under it

Thursday, October 7, 2010 6:40 AM
  • if you google silverlight out of browser there are lots of articles explaining how it works and how to use it.

As for the encryption / security you can look for any articles about web based encryption, its not silkverlight specific.

Sorry I can not give anything more concrete.

Thursday, October 7, 2010 9:00 AM
  • Hi Ahmed ,

about second issue how to set the max number of user first you need to get it ... !! There is no way to get a list of online user using the membership API.  You will need to create a domain service that goes against membership data, and pulls the list you want.  You can use the logic in stored procedure 'aspnet_Membership_GetNumberOfUsersOnline' so you can get user count and control max number of users .

About first issue License your SL App unfortunately you can't get MAC Address coz of silverlight is Client APP you can use Computer name

public string GetMachineName()
            {
                return HttpContext.Current.Server.MachineName;
            }

but i don't recommend you to identify a client based on computer name instead of login user 2 Computers can be named with the same name as long as they are not within the same network. So I don't recommend  use Computer name to identify a client. If you do not want to identify a client by login, you can use computer's IP address which is still a better identification than the computer name

string CustomerIP = HttpContext.Current.Request.ServerVariables["REMOTE_ADDR"];

Hope that help

Best regards,

Yasser

Friday, October 8, 2010 10:25 AM
  • I tried in SL client

HttpContext.Current.Server.MachineName

but this returns error that HttpContext does not exist.

How to get maschine name in SL client ?

Andrus.

Friday, October 8, 2010 2:38 PM
  • Hello kobruleht ,

you must type your function at server Side not client Side which mean Web application instead of SL Application

string ComputerName = System.IO.Path.GetDirectoryName(HttpContext.Current.Request.ServerVariables["REMOTE_USER"]);

string ComputerName = HttpContext.Current.Server.MachineName;

you can  get Computer name back to SL app using Function that exists in service

Hope that help

best regards

yasser

Friday, October 8, 2010 6:20 PM
  • This is server computer name.

I asked for a client computer name where SL application runs.

Andrus.

Monday, October 11, 2010 4:11 AM
  • Give CryptoLicensing a try. It is a cryptographic licensing engine and supports licensing Silverlight apps.

Tuesday, October 12, 2010 2:45 AM