[W8.1]Dedicated Localization for windows 8.1 app in C# and XAML not working on Surface Tablets

Question

• I have given the dedicated language  changing option on the Windows 8.1 application in XAML and C# for Desktop and Tablet. I used "Windows.Globalization.ApplicationLanguages.PrimaryLanguageOverride = culture.Name" for assigning any cultural code like "fr-FR". and I defined all the different strings in the corresponding resource files. When I run it on Desktop , its working fine for all the languages. But When I run it on Surface Table, few of the languages are working but most of them are not.It shows the default language even after changing to some other language.I restart the app. But that is also not working.  Please help me out on this issue. Thanks...
    Thursday, May 07, 2015 12:31 PM

All replies

• Hi Thiyam,

>>But When I run it on Surface Table, few of the languages are working but most of them are not

In my experience, if we want to apply a language to the app, this language should be supported in the operating system(Desktop or Surface).

Back to your description, because this was working on Desktop, so could you please provide the detailed system version on Surface? Could you please list some languages which were not working on your Surface?

If you can create a simple sample and share it using OneDrive, it will help us to reproduce your issue.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, May 08, 2015 2:37 AM
  • Thank You very much for your reply....

>>the detailed system version on Surface?

The detail information of the surface is

System Type: 32-bit Operating System,ARM-based processor

>>languages which were not working

French

Finnish

German

>>language which was working

Greek

Default Language of the app: US-English

------------------------------------------------

But I have found some work around as while creating the package I have given

Generate app bundle: Never, then it works fine for all the other languages also.

But I don't want to approached in this way as some of the negative points that I saw on some other's post like more memory occupied device and "individually service each architecture ". "Generate app bundle" should be always "If Needed". Could you give me some  solutions by coding modification/addition on the application.

Application Type:

Windows 8.1 silverlight upgraded from Windows 8 app, C# and XAML.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Thiyam Sunny Singh

Friday, May 08, 2015 10:57 AM
  • Hi Thiyam,

>>But I have found some work around as while creating the package I have given Generate app bundle: Never, then it works fine for all the other languages also.

Sorry for the delay, I've not encountered this issue before, the workaround is weird, if this issue occurs since the "Generate app bundle" is set to "If Needed"?

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Tuesday, May 19, 2015 12:37 PM
  • Hello Franklin Chen,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes it is because of setting "Generate app bundle to "If Needed".

Some more points that I want to add:

If I create the package with the option "If Needed", I have to add all the supported languages on 

Control Panel->Clock, Language, and Region->Language

Then install the app. It works fine for all the languages in this case.

If I install the app first and add the languages in the control panel's language setting later, then it wouldn't  reflect on the application.

Do you have any fixes/ solutions on this problem. 

If I create the package with the option "Never", 

Then adding of supporting languages on control panel's language setting is not required at all. It is always reflected on the UI whenever I change the language.

Thanks and regards,

Thiyam Sunny Singh

Thursday, May 21, 2015 6:27 AM
  • Hello Franklin Chen,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes it is because of setting "Generate app bundle to "If Needed".

Some more points that I want to add:

If I create the package with the option "If Needed", I have to add all the supported languages on 

Control Panel->Clock, Language, and Region->Language

Then install the app. It works fine for all the languages in this case.

If I install the app first and add the languages in the control panel's language setting later, then it wouldn't  reflect on the application.

Do you have any fixes/ solutions on this problem. 

If I create the package with the option "Never", 

Then adding of supporting languages on control panel's language setting is not required at all. It is always reflected on the UI whenever I change the language.

Thanks and regards,

Thiyam Sunny Singh

Hi Thiyam,

Thank you for your reporting, I will try to submit this issue through internal way. Temporarily, you can use that workaround.

If it is very urgent call, please contact our paid phone support at http://support.microsoft.com . You will get 1:1 support on that. Please kindly note that your support ticket will be free if it is Microsoft's issue.

Thursday, May 28, 2015 3:11 AM