none
How to trigger alerts based on custom metrics?

Question

• I have created a custom metric based on a custom event in application insight. I want to trigger an alert when the count of this event in the metric crosses a specific threshold. I see a an option to add an alert rule but how do I trigger the alert based on this specific metric?

ms forum help

Friday, January 25, 2019 4:50 PM

Answers

• Hi Aniket,

You can just have both the "Signal type" and "Monitor service" as "All" and then perform a search on the signal name box , with your event name.

Just as an example, I have metric name with "HttpTriggerTestAI". When I do a search should show up the below list of Metrics I can choose from. Please confirm if you are able to see this kind of list for your metric name.

Please be aware of the current product supportability and restrictions.  

Hope the information helps you to further explore Application Insights Metric Alert Rules. If you have any further questions please reach out. Thanks 

Saturday, January 26, 2019 2:29 PM
    Owner

All replies

• Hi Aniket,

Thanks for using Azure Application Insights Metric Alerts. 

What is the Metric NameSpace you are using to filter is it Log-based metrics/azure.applicationinsights ? Either way when you create an alert and filter with Monitor Service selecting a specific one or do a search by signal name. Does that not show up your metric in the signal name ? 

Friday, January 25, 2019 11:52 PM
    Owner
  • Hi Bharath,

Thanks for replying. While searching the monitoring service, I am looking for the metric name or the event name and hence not able to find or select any. So, can you please specify what exactly I should be looking at?

ms forum help

Saturday, January 26, 2019 12:34 PM
  • Hi Aniket,

You can just have both the "Signal type" and "Monitor service" as "All" and then perform a search on the signal name box , with your event name.

Just as an example, I have metric name with "HttpTriggerTestAI". When I do a search should show up the below list of Metrics I can choose from. Please confirm if you are able to see this kind of list for your metric name.

Please be aware of the current product supportability and restrictions.  

Hope the information helps you to further explore Application Insights Metric Alert Rules. If you have any further questions please reach out. Thanks 

Saturday, January 26, 2019 2:29 PM
    Owner
  • I am not able to find my metrics in the search box.

ms forum help

Tuesday, January 29, 2019 5:09 AM