none
Best Guest OS for a Host running Win Server 2008 R2 Std RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, I am running Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard as my host OS, and need to have one or more Hyper-V guests running for development work. I saw in a white paper (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hardware/gg463394.aspx) that a 'best practice' was to use that same OS on the guest. I have gone with Windows 7 for some images using the logic that the OS on 7 had a smaller footprint, and was a little more 'streamlined' thus preserving resources and improving performance. Is that a safe guess? Or should I be using Windows Server 2008 R2 as the guest OS? Does the latter have inherint features that enable it to run more efficiently in a Hyper-V environment that Windows 7 lacks?

Thank you all for your help.

Todd C - MSCTS SQL Server 2005 - Please mark posts as answered where appropriate.

• Edited by Todd C Friday, March 2, 2012 8:06 PM
    Friday, March 2, 2012 8:05 PM

Answers

• I think what doc is saying is that you want to use enlightened guest OS to be able to increase the performance of your VM.

Hence, it makes sense to use Windows Server if you had to provide some sort of service such as web service. However, for your needs I do not think it is necessary to use Windows Server. It should be just fine using Windows 7 for the reasons you described above and the fact that Windows 7 is also enlightened.

• Marked as answer by Todd C Wednesday, March 14, 2012 12:02 PM
    Tuesday, March 13, 2012 9:54 PM
  • . . .

I have gone with Windows 7 for some images using the logic that the OS on 7 had a smaller footprint, and was a little more 'streamlined' thus preserving resources and improving performance. Is that a safe guess?

. . .

Actually, your statement about Windows 7 using less resources is wrong.  When Windows Server 2008 R2 is installed in its default state, it uses much less resources than the client Windows 7.  It is Server 2008 R2 that is more streamlined.

You can use Windows Server 2008, 2008 R2, Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8.  What is important is that you have Integration Services installed.  If so, then each OS will perform just a well as the other. 

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 12:59 AM

All replies

• I think what doc is saying is that you want to use enlightened guest OS to be able to increase the performance of your VM.

Hence, it makes sense to use Windows Server if you had to provide some sort of service such as web service. However, for your needs I do not think it is necessary to use Windows Server. It should be just fine using Windows 7 for the reasons you described above and the fact that Windows 7 is also enlightened.

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 9:54 PM
  • . . .

I have gone with Windows 7 for some images using the logic that the OS on 7 had a smaller footprint, and was a little more 'streamlined' thus preserving resources and improving performance. Is that a safe guess?

. . .

Actually, your statement about Windows 7 using less resources is wrong.  When Windows Server 2008 R2 is installed in its default state, it uses much less resources than the client Windows 7.  It is Server 2008 R2 that is more streamlined.

You can use Windows Server 2008, 2008 R2, Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8.  What is important is that you have Integration Services installed.  If so, then each OS will perform just a well as the other. 

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 12:59 AM
  • Thanks, Guys.

Two very good answers!

Todd C - MSCTS SQL Server 2005 - Please mark posts as answered where appropriate.

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 12:02 PM