none
New Design on MSDN RRS feed

• General discussion

• The site looks well but I have to ask have you any ambitions towards being accessible/standards compliant? The main page of msdn (msdn.microsoft.com) produces 53 errors when validated.

Images without alt tags.

Images with border tags.

Dollar signs in id attributes (illegal in XHTML Transitional)

Unencoded ampersands in anchor urls.

A style declaration closed before the actual styles are declared followed by a closing style tag???

Tables with cellspacing/height/border set in the html.

I really thought Microsoft would try to lead in the area of standards but it's finally dawning on me that a certain apathy has set in on this area. Alot of the problem I suppose is that the developers themselves don't really care either.

Monday, May 28, 2007 3:15 PM

All replies

•  

Hi BrianOC,

Thank you for taking the time to look at this aspect of the site.

Accessibility and browser support are tested manually in a series of exhaustive test cases and usage scenarios.

We strive to support a wide range of browsers, operating systems, languages, accessibility needs, and screen resolutions. When you consider that each of those dimensions represents an exponential increase in test cases, and that different browsers interpret the same markup differently, the scope of an effort to create a complete solution quickly becomes out of reach. What we do is test the end result of rendering/functionality aspects of the experience and not the markup, to capture the highest priority adjustments, and make those.

Best regards, Eileen

Tuesday, May 29, 2007 10:03 PM