none
BLE Device Pairing By Bluetooth API RRS feed

• Question

• Hi.

I want to program enumerate and pair BLE devices.

I know that it can be realized by using the UWP API.
    However, since we target Windows 8.1, we can not use the UWP API.
    In addition, there is business requirement on distribution etc.
    It is not possible to create a store application.

I learned the existence of the Bluetooth API.
    I am going to learn to use, but I need to know quickly only whether or not I can pair with the device enumeration, and I do not have enough time.

Is it possible to enumerate and pair BLE 4.0 devices with the Bluetooth API?
    Best regards.

Tuesday, December 5, 2017 1:10 PM

Answers

• Hello,

Sorry for delay with answer. Unfortunately I have not received notification that you added a post here. Please contact me by e-mail or Skype so we can discuss this. You can find contact information on our site (http://www.btframework.com)

• Marked as answer by Tak1waMVP Tuesday, January 9, 2018 4:35 AM
    Friday, January 5, 2018 9:32 AM

All replies

• I found the following posts.

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsdesktop/en-US/3b62bdbf-9a55-4c0f-becf-f4e91d4bc027/windows-8-bluetooth-le-and?forum=wdk

According to these, detection and pairing of BLE devices can not be performed natively in Windows 8.1.
    There may not be a method other than using the store application.

Wednesday, December 6, 2017 1:39 AM
  • Wednesday, December 6, 2017 2:02 AM
    Answerer
  • Yes. I think that it can not be used.
    I distinguish UWP from store application (8.1).

Also, I recognize that it is from Windows 10 that the Bluetooth function of WindowsRuntime can be used on the desktop.
    So I think that it is necessary to use a mechanism such as Win32 API.

However, the Bluetooth API seems to be compatible with BLE with Classic Bluetooth only.
    In addition, the SetupDI API does not seem to have a pairing function, so it seems that it can only enumerate connected devices.

I want to do detection and pairing without using the PC setting function of Windows 8.1 Is it impossible?

Thursday, December 7, 2017 2:09 AM
  • [quote]

I want to do detection and pairing without using the PC setting function of Windows 8.1 Is it impossible?

[/quote]

Not aware of something like that.

From my memory of using Lumia 920/950XL, all Bluetooth devices that I use including Fitbit and BT headset requires my to pair it up manually for the first time, and after that the OS will automatically pairs it up when detected within range.

I suspect this is the way to do it.

I don't have the environment (VS with UWP8.1 target  installed, and WinPhone 8.1 phone) to confirm it. 

Thursday, December 7, 2017 4:03 AM
    Answerer
  • I'm sorry, I could not tell.
    The target is a desktop, not a phone.

At the moment, I also think that "we need to pair pair BLE devices manually from the control panel".

Thank you.
    Thursday, December 7, 2017 4:14 AM
  • Hi,

In fact there is no easy way to find and pair BLE devices on Window 8 (and on early Windows 10 as well). However, it is possible. We are almost finished the code that does what you need (find and pair with BLE devices on Win 8). I have no idea when it can be ready for release but if you are interested in testing it you can contact me and once it is done I'll send you a notification.

Thursday, December 7, 2017 6:36 AM
  • Sorry for the late reply.
    Thank you for contacting us.

I am interested in testing.
    please contact me.

Tuesday, December 19, 2017 2:38 AM
  • It is not stuck with BluetoothAPI.
    I want to automate the detection and pairing of BLE devices in the desktop environment of Windows 8.1.
    Tuesday, December 19, 2017 2:54 AM
  • Hello,

Sorry for delay with answer. Unfortunately I have not received notification that you added a post here. Please contact me by e-mail or Skype so we can discuss this. You can find contact information on our site (http://www.btframework.com)

• Marked as answer by Tak1waMVP Tuesday, January 9, 2018 4:35 AM
    Friday, January 5, 2018 9:32 AM