SSAS Tabular - Cannot connect to the deployment database server RRS feed

• Question

• I have SSAS Tabular sample solution that I want to deploy on local SQL database server, using SSAS Data Tools -> Build -> Deploy Solution. But it keeps giving me the error -

Error: Cannot connect to the deployment database server 'XXXXX2123728'. Please verify the connection and try again. Reason: An error occurred while connecting to the server.

My data source is on the same server, and I am able to view data in SSDT so it shouldn't be an access issue. Can someone please help what could be the issue with it?

• Edited by rajankgo Sunday, April 23, 2017 3:11 PM
    Sunday, April 23, 2017 3:08 PM

Answers

• You need to deploy a SSAS Tabular project to a SSAS Tabular server. What you have in your second screenshot is a relational engine instance - you cannot deploy a Tabular project to the relational engine.

When you click on the "Connect" dropdown in the object browser and choose the "Analysis Services..." option and try to connect to this server does it connect and show a blue table next to the server name (a blue table icon indicates the server is in Tabular mode - a multidimensional instance will display a yellow cube icon).

If you did not install an Analysis Services instance when you installed SQL Server you will need to run the setup again and install a Tabular instance of Analysis Services on this server if that is where you want to run this model from.

http://darren.gosbell.com - please mark correct answers

• Proposed as answer by alexander fun Saturday, April 29, 2017 7:12 AM
    • Marked as answer by rajankgo Monday, June 12, 2017 11:40 AM
    Wednesday, April 26, 2017 10:22 PM
  • Hi Rajankgo,

Thanks for your response.

This should be a SSAS Tabular instance name, not a database engine instance name. see below image:

Best Regards
    Willson Yuan
    MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

• Marked as answer by rajankgo Monday, June 12, 2017 11:41 AM
    Thursday, April 27, 2017 7:53 AM

All replies

• Hi Rajankgo,

Thanks for your queston.

According to the error messages provided you, you may have input the wrong SSAS tabular instance server name for your Deployment Server in SSDT.

To check the Deployment Server in SSDT, please go to "project---Your SSAS project Properties", then check the deployment database server name in it.

Best Regards
    Willson Yuan
    MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

• Proposed as answer by alexander fun Saturday, April 29, 2017 7:11 AM
    Monday, April 24, 2017 7:16 AM
  • Hi Wilson,

Thanks for the response. I verified that Server name given in Project properties is same as Database Server instance - 

SSAS Tabular project properties - 

SQL DB Server - 

I tried changing the name to "localhost" and some just an invalid name as well, the error remains same.

Thanks,

Wednesday, April 26, 2017 11:44 AM
  • You need to deploy a SSAS Tabular project to a SSAS Tabular server. What you have in your second screenshot is a relational engine instance - you cannot deploy a Tabular project to the relational engine.

When you click on the "Connect" dropdown in the object browser and choose the "Analysis Services..." option and try to connect to this server does it connect and show a blue table next to the server name (a blue table icon indicates the server is in Tabular mode - a multidimensional instance will display a yellow cube icon).

If you did not install an Analysis Services instance when you installed SQL Server you will need to run the setup again and install a Tabular instance of Analysis Services on this server if that is where you want to run this model from.

http://darren.gosbell.com - please mark correct answers

• Proposed as answer by alexander fun Saturday, April 29, 2017 7:12 AM
    • Marked as answer by rajankgo Monday, June 12, 2017 11:40 AM
    Wednesday, April 26, 2017 10:22 PM
  • Hi Rajankgo,

Thanks for your response.

This should be a SSAS Tabular instance name, not a database engine instance name. see below image:

Best Regards
    Willson Yuan
    MSDN Community Support

• Marked as answer by rajankgo Monday, June 12, 2017 11:41 AM
    Thursday, April 27, 2017 7:53 AM