Need to change "COPPA compliance" option based on generated age rating? RRS feed

• Question

• There is a "COPPA compliance" option in the "Monetize with ads" of dev center. Notice that default selection is the first option: " This application is not directed at children under the age of 13. "

But new age rating generated by the new dev center function is "3+". Then should I change the COPPA to the second option " This application is directed at children under the age of 13." ?

And it said "Please note that Microsoft will only serve non-targeted advertising into applications that are identified as being directed at children under 13. "  So, will this affect ads fill rate ? If it will, can I change app age rating back to 12+? 

Thanks.
    • Edited by Exilerrr Saturday, January 16, 2016 4:27 PM
    Saturday, January 16, 2016 4:21 PM

Answers

• Hi Exilers,

If your app is a kids app, specifically targeted for children under the age of 13, you should set the COPPA flag to the second option. 

If your app is 3+, but does not specifically target children, you should set the COPPA flag to the first option.

It is difficult to draw a correlation between COPPA flag setting and fill rate - as a developer, you are required to set the COPPA flag based on the nature of the app for compliance reasons. And Microsoft will determine whether to serve targeted ads or not, depending on the setting you make.

Hope this clarifies,

Thanks,

Shreyas Ganesh N [MSFT]

Monday, January 18, 2016 8:01 PM

All replies

• Hi Exilers,

If your app is a kids app, specifically targeted for children under the age of 13, you should set the COPPA flag to the second option. 

If your app is 3+, but does not specifically target children, you should set the COPPA flag to the first option.

It is difficult to draw a correlation between COPPA flag setting and fill rate - as a developer, you are required to set the COPPA flag based on the nature of the app for compliance reasons. And Microsoft will determine whether to serve targeted ads or not, depending on the setting you make.

Hope this clarifies,

Thanks,

Shreyas Ganesh N [MSFT]

Monday, January 18, 2016 8:01 PM
  • Thank you. I suggest put this answer beside that option.
    Tuesday, January 19, 2016 2:52 AM