none
Can a .NET 4.5 application access old GAC? RRS feed

• Question

• I am creating an application in .NET 4.5.2 framework and adding reference to .NET 2.0 dlls, the application compiles and runs fine without any issues.

When we deploy this winform application to a user machine, he can two configurations as below.

1. User may have a 4.5 version of the referenced Dll in the new GAC (under Microsoft.NET folder)

OR

2. User may have a 2.0 version of referenced dll in the old GAC (%windir%/Assembly)

My question is, Will my application be able to access the old GAC as well, in case if its not find the references in the new GAC

What will be the precedence? New GAC then Old GAC? Thanks.

Regards

Biju Koshy

Tuesday, December 12, 2017 12:01 PM

All replies

• Hi BKOSHY,

Thank you for posting here.

When you deploy your winform application, you could with the referenced dll together. And then you do not consider about what version of dll to add reference.

Best Regards,

Wendy

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, December 14, 2017 8:44 AM
  • Thanks Wendy.

I have to get the referenced Dll's in the GAC only. I am using a third party app which is supposed to be available in the user's machine. for example user can have the latest .NET 4.5 built application or .NET 3.5 built application, so My custom app should be able to load the available third party app.

Thanks.

Biju Koshy

Thursday, December 14, 2017 9:05 AM