Beginner question on state management RRS feed

• Question

• User260076833 posted

Hi,

I have made a little calendar based on a WebControl. It always shows a specific month of a specific year. By default, it shows the current month. There are two buttons, "<<" to go tho the previous month, and ">>" to go to the next month. So far, so good.

We now have "June 2015", and I noticed the following behavior:

• When the page is opened and I click "<<", it shows the previous month: May 2015"
      When I then click ">>", it shows "July 2015", and not "June 2015" as expected.
      I believe, it was reset to the current month before the event was handled, right?

• When the page is opened and I click ">>", it shows the next month: July 2015"
      When I then click "<<", it shows "May 2015", and not "June 2015" as expected.
      I believe, it was reset to the current month before the event was handled, right?

Please help me with these questions:

• What would be the most natural approach to keep track of the "current" month,
      without this value being reset on postback?
    • Can you do this without sessions or viewstate?
    • If not, which one is better and why?
    • How would it be used? Simply accessing Session["myCurrentMonth"]?
    • When would I initialize and retrieve the state?

Thank you very much!

Magnus

Tuesday, June 2, 2015 3:23 AM

Answers

• User-219423983 posted

Hi Yeoman,

I made a demo based on your description as the following codes. I show the "current" month on a label, it would be changed when visible month changed. The Calendar1.VisibleDate gets or sets the DateTime value that specifies the month to display on the Calendar control, you could use this property to get the "current" month.

As you use a web user control, the month changed event always occurs after the main page loads. The cookie would be a wise choose that created on client and we can get the value immediately. The following demo provides you a method to get the “current” month, I think it would be useful to you. Because I don’t clear your page implementation, I couldn’t make sure why the problem described above happened. You could provide more information about the code.

<%@ Control Language="C#" AutoEventWireup="true" CodeBehind="CalendarUC.ascx.cs" Inherits="DailyThreads.CSharp.UserControl.CalendarUC" %>
    <asp:Calendar ID="Calendar1" runat="server" onclick="getCurrentMonth();" NextMonthText="&amp;gt;&amp;gt;" PrevMonthText="&amp;lt;&amp;lt;" OnSelectionChanged="Calendar1_SelectionChanged" OnVisibleMonthChanged="Calendar1_VisibleMonthChanged"></asp:Calendar>
    Current Month:<asp:Label ID="Label1" runat="server" Text=""></asp:Label><br />
    Selected Date:<asp:Label ID="Label2" runat="server" Text=""></asp:Label>
    <script type="text/javascript">
        function getCurrentMonth()
        {
            var aobject= document.activeElement.title;
            var ispostback=  <%= Convert.ToInt32(IsPostBack)%>;
            var currentShownMonth;
            if(ispostback==0)
            {
                currentShownMonth = <%= DateTime.Now.Month%>;
            }
            else{
                currentShownMonth = <%= Calendar1.VisibleDate.Month%>;
            }

if(aobject.toString().toLowerCase().indexOf("next")>0)
            {
                currentShownMonth = (currentShownMonth+1)>12?1:(currentShownMonth+1);
            }
            if(aobject.toString().toLowerCase().indexOf("previous")>0)
            {
                currentShownMonth = (currentShownMonth-1)<1?12:(currentShownMonth-1);
            }
            var calcontro = document.getElementById('<%= Calendar1.ClientID%>');
            var expdate = new Date();
            expdate.setTime(expdate.getTime() + 30 * 60 * 1000);
            document.cookie="CurrentShownMonth"+"="+escape(currentShownMonth)+";expires=" + expdate.toGMTString();
        }
    </script>

The .cs code

protected void Page_Load(object sender, EventArgs e)
            {
                if (!IsPostBack)
                {
                    this.Label1.Text = DateTime.Now.Month.ToString();
                }
            }

protected void Calendar1_SelectionChanged(object sender, EventArgs e)
            {
                this.Label2.Text ="SelectedDay:" + this.Calendar1.SelectedDate.Day.ToString() + ";  SelectedMonth:" + this.Calendar1.SelectedDate.Month.ToString();
            }

protected void Calendar1_VisibleMonthChanged(object sender, MonthChangedEventArgs e)
            {
                this.Label1.Text =this.Calendar1.VisibleDate.Month.ToString();
            }

I hope it’s useful to you.

Best Regards,

Weibo Zhang

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Thursday, June 4, 2015 2:43 AM