What drivers do i need on Vista.

All replies

• It keeps saying (During the Install) that my computer dosnt have the right drivers. i have an acer aspire 4730z with 3gb of ram and intel pentium.
    Saturday, October 08, 2011 12:10 AM
  • The vista forum is on answers.microsoft.com, but Microsoft does not write drivers, try find an Acer forum instead.

The following is signature, not part of post
    Please mark the post answered your question as the answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful, so they will appear differently to other users who are visiting your thread for the same problem.
    Visual C++ MVP
    Saturday, October 08, 2011 4:36 AM
  • Are you trying to install Windows Developer Preview on a system running Windows Vista?

Are you doing installation by boot from DVD or by insert DVD and install inside Windows?

If it is installing from Windows , did you try run update first?

Is that possible to provide screenshoot of your issue.

Saturday, October 08, 2011 9:59 AM
  • @Sheng Jiang 蒋晟 Actually, Microsoft writes drivers. Most drivers included in Windows are written by Microsoft.

@JesusFreak500 Try to start Windows Developer Preview installation by rebooting, not from Vista. If you want to keep Vista, install WDP on a separate partition.

Saturday, October 08, 2011 10:30 AM
  • No, most drivers shipped with windows are submitted by hardware manufacturer themselves (ever heard of WHQL? It is established for this purpose).

The user is talking about driver for Windows Vista in the title. 

Please mark the post answered your question as the answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful, so they will appear differently to other users who are visiting your thread for the same problem.
    Visual C++ MVP
    Saturday, October 08, 2011 3:43 PM
  • @Sheng Jiang 蒋晟 Ok. Open your device manager and look at Driver Provider on Driver tab for various devices. How many devices indicate Microsoft there and how many something else? In fact, most devices on typical system are standard and drivers for them are written by Microsoft.
    I don't want to go off topic here, just wanted to point out that statement "Microsoft does not write drivers" is wrong.

As I understood the question, it's about WDP setup, which was started from Windows Vista, complaining about incompatible drivers. So I suggested installing WDP by booting from DVD.

Sunday, October 09, 2011 4:35 AM
  • You are talking about one computer. I am talking drivers in general. Microsoft supports the widest possible range of hardware for operating systems. You do not really expect generic drivers make the majority of drivers' don't you? The is only one Microsoft VGA driver and there are god know how many video card drivers. 

And the user said the hardware does not work with the default collection of drivers, so that excludes Microsoft drivers from the list of candidates.

Visual C++ MVP
    Sunday, October 09, 2011 5:09 AM
  • I never mentioned majority of drivers in general. I agree with you on this one. I just didn't agree when you said "Microsoft does not write drivers".
    Sunday, October 09, 2011 5:24 AM
  • That should be modified to

Microsoft does not write drivers you are interested in looking for.

Visual C++ MVP
    Sunday, October 09, 2011 5:27 AM