none
MSDN Search Suggestion Box and Content Rendering Poorly RRS feed

• General discussion

• This is for the MSDN development team:

I know Chrome probably isn't one of your "supported" browsers but the search suggestions box is being rendered on top of the MSDN content on page load - after I click in the "search msdn with live search" text box in the top banner of the site the search suggestions window moves to the correct location and slides away to it's hidden state.

So, it seems to me that you might be positioning the div off the screen and then moving it back with JavaScript - but it doesn't work right in Chrome (and then probably Safari or other browsers).  

Just giving you some feed back on this.

Also, some MSDN/.NET API examples and documentation render really really poorly in Chrome too.  Some of the content is pushed to a one-character-wide column and is totally un-readable.  

BTW, our firm forces us to use IE 6 - but the developers need other browsers to test our web applications - so I'm fortunate enough to be able to have multiple browsers - just not multiple versions of IE.  So, thus - Chrome and Firefox users.  Developers have multiple browsers and sometimes choose one over the other so we really need the MSDN site to render correctly in those browsers.  I don't think I'm asking for much - not like we need support for Netscape 3 or even pre-IE-6.

Please take a look at the CSS and renderings of your pages in browsers other than IE.  It will really make a lot of people happy and may even improve the printing capabilities (cause that's a whole different story).

Thanks

Dirk Watkins

Dirk Watkins
    Tuesday, March 3, 2009 3:53 PM

All replies

• I second this -- for me, the suggestions box actually displays open upon every page hit, and I have to manually close it to see things on the page. Happens in Safari, too, so it's probably present on all WebKit-related engines. Drives me nuts--I end up using Firefox for viewing MSDN instead despite Chrome being my default browser.

I've experienced the one-character-wide problem too, which seems to resolve itself if I refresh the page. I assume that this is some race condition with some JavaScript code that resizes the elements on the page to make room for the tree view.

I don't think it's much to ask for proper rendering support on all current rendering engines, either. At the small business I work for, I have to test my Web sites in IE 6/7/8, Firefox vCurrent, and a WebKit vCurrent (the differences between Chrome and Safari are small unless you are doing really unholy things), so MSDN should, too.

Thanks for listening!
    Saturday, March 7, 2009 9:15 PM