none
what is component based development in dotnet ? plz guide RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

thanks for your attention and time.

Regarding component based development I have some questions. It will so nice of you if you spare time and share your knowledge and ideas. Thanks in anticipation.

1. Can you please explain me what is component based development ? What I am already doing is using layers (user interface, custom types, data access layer and busines logic layer). For example for filling a drop down list with countries what I do is getting data from DAL using custom types in my BLL and BLL return a list of countries to user interface. Now in my opinion it is a plug-able component that I can use anywhere. Should it be called a component ?

2. What is a component a method ? or class or a assambly ?

3. Can components be like that (methods and assemblies) or they are services to embed ?

4. Actually I never have used services, if component can be in both ways (services & classes and assemblies) than what approach is better, should component be made in form of assemblies or services ?

5. Without being so technical any general rules on making re-usable components ?

I really thankful to you for sparing time & guiding me.

haansi

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden" /> <input id="jsProxy" onclick="jsCall();" type="hidden" />

Friday, February 19, 2010 7:13 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Take a look at this link. Though it talks about CBD in a mobile devices context, it still gives you a good idea of what CBD is and how it can be used. Hopefully, this answers a lot of your questions. Please let the forum know if you have further questions on this

HTH
    Technocrat_Aspire
    • Marked as answer by Haansi Monday, February 22, 2010 5:30 PM
    Saturday, February 20, 2010 2:07 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Take a look at this link. Though it talks about CBD in a mobile devices context, it still gives you a good idea of what CBD is and how it can be used. Hopefully, this answers a lot of your questions. Please let the forum know if you have further questions on this

HTH
    Technocrat_Aspire
    • Marked as answer by Haansi Monday, February 22, 2010 5:30 PM
    Saturday, February 20, 2010 2:07 PM
  • Hi,

HTH
    Technocrat_Aspire

Is there something wrong with the link? It cannot be opened, Is the link invalid?
    Friday, August 13, 2010 11:18 PM
  • Here is a good link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Component-based_software_engineering

Just remember it is all about separation of concern. They're more classes than assemblies or services. Within the classes you'd have methods unique to a particular concern but the class/classes would all be encapsulated so that they could be easily removed and added to any other project without any issues from dependencies on other code.

Sunday, August 15, 2010 5:02 AM